|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Survey

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Those cheap coffee makers will work good as long as they get the water hot enough. Remember the awful Mr. Coffee coffee makers? They just heated the water a little and pumped it over the grounds. Awful stuff.

The coffee we buy now is from Organic Coffee Company, and is great. $20 for 5 pounds of beans. Tough to beat.
How can a cheap coffee maker not heat the water enough, it has to reach boiling point to force it through the tube?

Haven't had a issue with any of my cheap coffee makers.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI the pods are now recyclable. Grounds go in one container, pods in the recycle bin.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did not have good luck with the Kureg makers. Got one as a gift, it went bad. Got a new one under warranty and it failed also. The heating element went bad on both.

Even for the few time they worked, I do not like the preset amounts in those cups... their definition of strong coffee is different from mine.

Bought a $3 Mr. Coffee at a garage sale and it has worked flawlessly for the last 8 years or so.

I like Black Rifle or Peets brand coffee.
I drink it black.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I go by.

Low TDS reverse osmosis water only. Tap water will turn good coffee into swill.

Whole bean coffee ground daily is a pain but only you can decide if it's worth the bother.

Go to Starbucks. Wait read me out. Try various grinds watered down 50% with hot water. It tastes like ordinary strength coffee.

Medium blend or French Roast. One of the other will suit you better

The finer coffee is ground the stronger and possibly more bitter it becomes. Trial and error time.

Cream or sugar reduces subtle differences in tastes and aromas.

Exotic blends like Kona, Rwanda, Japanese, Sumatran, Jamaican Blue Mountain are like estate grown Darjeeling tea. For purists. Yes there are differences are yes you will pay through the snot box for them.

One of the more memorable brews I had was when I prepared cowboy coffee on a horseback fishing trip using Lake water Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

If you can't seem to get coffee intensity just right without going from limpid to abusive with a coffeemaker, try using a five star rated coffee press.

Don't be afraid to vary fineness of grind and amount of coffee.

Am I a coffee nut? I buy green beans from FINCA ALFREDO GUTIERREZ in the mountains of Chiapas, have it shipped in hundred pound lots via bus. Roast it in a wood fired oven till I hear the second crack then place the whole beans on the patio for a minimum of three days. Everyone has gone wild over it. But then again I am retired and feel entitled to such extravagances.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have favored Folgers Half-Caff brewed in a plain old no bells and whistles Mr. Coffee drip machine almost since it was introduced. We recently tried the Maxwell House half-caff blend and found it had virtually the same flavor as the Folgers, so now we have an alternate if needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever is on SALE at the grocery store.

Grew up on ranch
Worked Oilfield
NAVY
Power Plant
Camping

Black, thick and strong
It's just coffee

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy green beans of different varieties and roast it myself. an hour a week roasting keeps us happy about 2 lbs.

There is no way I do a hundred pounds. I buy 20 lbs at a time. One I use a lot is Indian Monsooned Malabar. Finicky to roast, does nothing then jumps from first to second in a heart beat. Kind of an earthy smokey tone too it. Really good.

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kureg, * 8 oclock beans (or any beans I come across where we travel), burr grinder, reusable pod with paper filter.

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought an ex-hotel single cup coffee maker, the type that takes the 2" flat round filter pods, from a local thrift store for $.25. I don't drink coffee myself, as I personally find the flavor quite revolting; this is just so I can offer it to the occasional house or dinner guest. Hence, as to a brand or type of coffee, I cannot offer any advice at all, but hope to pick out some variety that's halfway usable based on blind luck.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I just bought an ex-hotel single cup coffee maker, the type that takes the 2" flat round filter pods, from a local thrift store for $.25. I don't drink coffee myself, as I personally find the flavor quite revolting; this is just so I can offer it to the occasional house or dinner guest. Hence, as to a brand or type of coffee, I cannot offer any advice at all, but hope to pick out some variety that's halfway usable based on blind luck.
It shouldn't really matter that much, since you don't drink coffee, visitors won't expect you to offer them the best there is. [emoticon] But just out of consideration to their taste buds, rotate out the opened coffee regularly. Opened ground coffee will get pretty tasteless over time. What you do have, store in an airtight opaque container. It will last longer that way.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Survey
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.