|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Survey

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

For caffeine boost sans café dark chocolate has a surprising amount of caffeine. Eighty percent dark chocolate has enough kick for it to equal a cup or two of roadside joe. The sugar content also helps. For some reason chocolate lasts longer than coffee in my system. I pack a cup or two of baking chocolate.

For mornings chocolate is a counterfeit substitute for a mug of good coffee. And I'll skip the blood sugar spike [emoticon]

Baking chocolate, by itself, is inedible (far too bitter). It does make decent hot chocolate, though, if properly sweetened. I like having the ability to add just the right amount of sugar. Many commercially available chocolate products are too sweet for my liking.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

How can a cheap coffee maker not heat the water enough, it has to reach boiling point to force it through the tube?

Haven't had a issue with any of my cheap coffee makers.

Some folks think a 1,000 coffee maker makes better coffee than a 1000¢ one ($10.00) but.. You nailed it.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waltz down to the lake a scoop up a pot of water. Return to the campfire and set the pot on the rocks. Let the water boil. Toss in a handful of coffee. Let it boil for 1 minute, no longer. Drizzle ice-cold water across the pot. Tip and leave the bottom inch or so as dregs.
Fill your cup. Goes great with eggs and salt pork plus a slice of toasted bread.

Dig out a shrivelled apple, cut it in two, and the aroma will suck your pony back into camp like magic.

People think hauling a laptop to Starbucks for a what the hell do they call them? Oh yeah, a Frappuccino. is the way to start the day. A woodpecker on a hollow lodgepole pine log was my alarm clock.

The line shacks had canvas cots or a feel every one bedspring.

You haven't woke up to coffee until you've been awakened to cowboy coffee.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People think hauling a laptop to Starbucks
I have had and enjoyed coffee in many places
INCLUDING THE LAST CUP IN THE POT AT A FIRE HOUSE!!!!

ANd the only coffee I can't drink... Charbucks. world's worst coffee
(Breakfast blend, a lighter roast is the only acceptable product and frankly Folger's or Chock full O Nuts or Maxwell House or Hills brothers or.. Just about anything is better.

one Taste test found A&P's 8'00 whole bean fresh ground was best.

Well I've found better but the key was "Fresh Ground"
It was a breakfast blend from the gormet coffee section of Meijer's stores (Based in Mi now in OH and Indiana) and yes it was fresh ground.

Best I ever had was a little Mexician Restaurant in Palmdale CA.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stance seems to be predicated on whether you really like and enjoy coffee,or if you just drink coffee.
Coffee has very different flavors and nuances depending on a lot of factors,such as roast level,ground size, origin and climate.
Western coffees (south American,Carribean) have bright sweet clean flavors,while African and Asian have a more earthy musky smoky tone.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drink single origin coffee, black, mail ordered from Batdorf and Bronson, way back I used Peet's but they went big time. It's roasted to order and shipped the day it's roasted. I grind daily in a burr grinder and brew it in a drip pot that is designed for the optimum temp, but a French press, pour over, and others prob makes a better cup but I can't be bothered.

I haven't found a single origin coffee(granted I'm using a high quality supplier) that I don't like, but the best all time are from Kenya. I'll drink central and south american, african, and south east asian origins as well. I haven't had the one that's picked out of elephant dung and don't plan on it either. Kona is just fair and Jamaican Blue Mtn is over rated and over priced, but drinkable.

IMHO Keurig is the worst (well except for the motel room coffee), Nespresso is not far behind and I don't like over roasted and over extracted coffees like Starbucks and french roast. OTOH I'm happy w cowboy coffee or percolator out camping. I use individual serving freeze dried at the ski lodge cause there is no way I'm paying $4 for a cup of coffee while warming up. (The cup, micro, and shooters of cream are all free!!!)

Roasting my own sounds intriguing but at the end of the day what I'm doing is fine for me. For the rare non-coffee drinker among us Batdorf has individual high quality coffee bags that you would be proud to serve your coffee drinking guests.

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Millions upon millions disagree with much of what has been said here re: Kerig, Starbucks etc.

To each their own, it's just coffee.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Millions upon millions drive a brand of motor vehicle that other millions and millions despise.

I am glad we have the opportunity to choose. Even dollar and fifty cents McDonald's coffee. What ever happened to the senior's discount? I tolerated USN Goat Locker urn coffee. What can I say?

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a survey, people express opinions in surveys, others can use the results of a survey any way they wish whether that is to gather information regarding the topic or make presumptions about the folks that participate in surveys.

In my case I make a sincere effort to enjoy coffee, one of the best parts of the day; some may think my effort and dollars expended is ridiculous others may think I'm still missing out.

To each their own, it's just a survey.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote here for "cowboy" coffee. For years, that's the method I always employed. However, lately I've been using an inexpensive Mr. Coffee machine (fresh ground beans and bottled water, as always). I find this arrangement acceptable, but if my Mr. coffee ever breaks, chances are I'll return to the "cowboy" method once again. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coffee Survey
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.