|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Avoid Silverton Colorado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to own 350+ac in WV and it was a constant fight to keep those things from tearing up the place. Seemed like if they drove down a dirt road 1/2 a mile that made it open for them to do their damage. I once hauled a family off the side of the mountain where they had overturned not near a trail or a road. Had come from the other side of the mountain. Late Nov, cold as he!!, not dressed for it, and had no idea where they were. Lucky we saw them, as we had been up there deer hunting, or they might have froze to death. Took 4 of us and a chain saw to get them loose and off the mountain on our side. No respect for others property. I suggest if you want to ride buy yourself some land to ride on.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter has a gift shop in Silverton and their customers, (tourists) complain about so many OHVs ruining their visits. The tourists stop coming if they are overrun by OHVs so the merchants let the city council know that businesses were hurting BECAUSE of OHVs.

Council acted properly by representing THEIR constituents! More tourists spending money and fewer OHVs in area, which usually camp and eat in their RVs anyway. Not big spenders.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Then it would appear the Town Council listened to their community.

Wish we knew, could also be they just pandered to a loud organized minority.

Not only possible, but also likely.
Or as like to put it, the “Nothing better to do with their time” crowd.

Not saying there’s not issues with it, but apparently the town thinks it’s revenue will not suffer unduly from it.
Last time I popped down into Silverton from Ouray, my rig had license plates and OHVs weren’t popular on those trails and passes. Nor were they what they are today. It was mostly all jeeps and trucks up in the mountains.
**** I miss that area. Been 25 years since we’ve been up there.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Their town Their rules. When we see places overrun by OHV or cart drivers we move on to spend our time and money elsewhere.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Y-Guy wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Then it would appear the Town Council listened to their community.

Wish we knew, could also be they just pandered to a loud organized minority.

Not only possible, but also likely.
Or as like to put it, the “Nothing better to do with their time” crowd.

Not saying there’s not issues with it, but apparently the town thinks it’s revenue will not suffer unduly from it.
Last time I popped down into Silverton from Ouray, my rig had license plates and OHVs weren’t popular on those trails and passes. Nor were they what they are today. It was mostly all jeeps and trucks up in the mountains.
**** I miss that area. Been 25 years since we’ve been up there.

READ the post by 'IDman' and his Daughters remarks who is a business owner in Silverton

Lack of ORVs IN Town is not going to be a revenue looser

ORV crowd is still welcome....just not riding the ORVs IN town
Simple.......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

READ the post by 'IDman' and his Daughters remarks who is a business owner in Silverton

Lack of ORVs IN Town is not going to be a revenue looser

ORV crowd is still welcome....just not riding the ORVs IN town
Simple.......

I did, and that's why I said apparently the town doesn't think it will be a poor financial decision.
So the OHVers in campers don't eat out as much and OHvers don't hit the gift shops as much, but they presumably buy orders of magnitude more fuel, gas station hot dogs and cases of PBR, as well as rent other atv's, bounce them off rocks and get them repaired at the Yamaha dealer or rental shops. SO who's income is more important and do the OHVs scare off more "tourists" or will the new law push away more ohv "business?"
I couldn't tell you and likely neither could any of the crowd who complained or those that made the law. But how many forums, FB groups, word of mouth recommendations, etc will be made to NOT take your OHV to Silverton?
It's bad business. Those towns live solely on tourist dollars. End of story. He!!, couple of my buddies used to buy their new SkiDoos somewhere down there because those guys were always starving for business with such a small local customer base and they'd move machines for cheap to keep from floor planning them over the summer just to sell them as year old models the next fall.

What I am certain of, is any (small) town that is effectively reliant on tourism for it's municipal and personal income is woefully ignorant to kiss a gift horse in the mouth and demote or prohibit any of those (legitimate, legal) tourist activities, as they already live a fine line between good years and bad years. Seen it happen before, not necessarily for the same reasons, but the end result is the same.

Remember this is also going to keep the day traffic ohvs away for sure. The ones who pit stop in Silverton and eat, have a beer and spend way too much on gas, to get back over the mountains.

There are so many other options. No lack of "space" in town to dedicate a couple atv routes in and out, that get the ohvers TO the gas station, store and a a couple parking lots off main drag where they can park and only walk a couple blocks into "downtown."
This is standard issue in popular atv areas and extremely liberal, short sited approach that while may be of less consequence than I've portrayed, is not preserving all means of income for the town, AND also will likely serve as precedence or at least spark the idea elsewhere.
The trails in and around Lake City, Silverton and Ouray are about as rich of a heritage as any in the area. My wife remembers Jeeping there 40 years ago as a little girl and I have similar history from slightly more recent years.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the mayor of Silverton is a lawyer from New York who owns a hotel in town he's "restoring" and his activities, according to him, don't remotely involved any motorsports, unless you include the Amazon truck that next day delivered his new Birkenstocks for this summer, last week!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I used to own 350+ac in WV and it was a constant fight to keep those things from tearing up the place. Seemed like if they drove down a dirt road 1/2 a mile that made it open for them to do their damage. I once hauled a family off the side of the mountain where they had overturned not near a trail or a road. Had come from the other side of the mountain. Late Nov, cold as he!!, not dressed for it, and had no idea where they were. Lucky we saw them, as we had been up there deer hunting, or they might have froze to death. Took 4 of us and a chain saw to get them loose and off the mountain on our side. No respect for others property. I suggest if you want to ride buy yourself some land to ride on.

Sounds like the dumb arses were in a dire situation.
I thoroughly enjoyed turning around on the SNOWMOBILE trail this spring to go back and ask some folks who'd buried their ATV on the trail, about a half hour before dark, if they needed some help.
When they said yes, I said I can help you with some advice. "Keep your **(^? ing ATV off the SNOWMOBILE trails and this wouldn't happen! Oh and your truck is about 1.5 miles in that direction...."

Why? because these (and the folks we pulled out of there the previous year who'd driven their CAR over the snow berm and a couple miles up the rock hard, frozen in the middle of the night, GROOMED SNOWMOBILE trail, until they gained enough altitude that the snow softened up and beached the car) people who can't obey the laws ruin it for the rest of us.
I'm very compassionate until "your" poor actions begin to affect "me."
Just as I wouldn't side with folks ripping up downtown Silverthorne on their UTVs. However I believe that generally was not the case, given the general level of clientele that would be rolling all the way up to Silverton to go ATVing.

This was a NIMBY move by the city council.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm an active OHV person, put several thousand miles/year on my dirt bike, but I can certainly see and understand why comunities have objections to allowing non plated OHV's in towns (motorcycles, side by sides, quads). My brand new 2021 dual sport motorcycle by EPA standards passes the 84db drive by test. But test it like bikes are tested for events, it is about 98db, 1/2 max rpm, 24" from the exhaust with transmission in neutral. Thats usually with about 1/8 throttle or less. Much louder than most other cars and 4 stroke sounds carry. Easy to be 100db+ with OHV under load and heavy throttle.

I always run as high a gear as I can when in towns, and slow. And the vast majority of OHV's that are not sold as street legal are even noisier.

Now with people that have (a) loud OHV's (b) ride to fast (c) pull stunts in town (d) aren't courteous and yes it creates a real problem and anoyance to people.

Since I'm plated and street legal, I'm not directly affected by the "no OHV" rules since those apply to non plated vehicles.

But I also support the ability of communities to regulate non plated/non street legal vehicles on public roads.

A few idiots give the vast majority of responsible users a bad reputation.

* This post was edited 05/20/21 06:52pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can understand, there are so many obnoxiously loud and aggressive OHV's that ruin it for everyone else that do try to be considerate. They should just make the OHV's street legal like a Dual Sport, put license plates on them all nationwide. Enforce the traffic and noise laws and don't punish the non-idiots. But there aren't that many reasonable minded folks around anymore I'm afraid. Its anything goes or nothing goes. Everyone wants zero responsibility. I've been hit by idiots way over their head on the trails, I bet they had issues in the town too. No insurance on those usually, you hit a car or run over a kid, goat, cow, maybe the mayor and look out. I carry liability insurance just in case. No one is perfect, **** happens. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Avoid Silverton Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.