|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree charging is the most important issue EV's have for future growth. You should be able to use any charger you see IMO. There should be standardization across all vehicles and chargers.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

chovy

Los Gatos, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 02:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a good podcast on crowdcast.fm that just talks about the F150 Lightning and whether it will pull a trailer. The general gist of it was that the range is 300miles and with a trailer it would be 150miles.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chovy wrote:

There's a good podcast on crowdcast.fm that just talks about the F150 Lightning and whether it will pull a trailer. The general gist of it was that the range is 300miles and with a trailer it would be 150miles.

For best battery life it is generally recommended that you stay in the central 60% of your battery's capacity, meaning that the 150 mile range just became 90 miles. Besides prolonging the life of your battery you simply don't want to run your battery all the way down because you can't just walk to the nearest charge station and get a bucket of electrons in the event that you do run totally out. Between the scarcity of charging stations in my area and the lack of reliability of the non-Tesla stations that means that you have to keep quite a bit of charge in reserve. Also, the charge rate slows dramatically as you approach full, the last 20% of charge can take as long as the first 60%. Unless you have time to burn you don't generally want to go to 100% anyway.

To me, that 300 mile unloaded range of the Ford is going to seriously compromise its appeal to many people. I find the 300 mile range of my Model Y to be awkward for trips in my part of the country and cutting it in half by pulling a trailer would make a serious trip all but impossible. I did get the hitch in case I want to take a utility trailer to Home Depot and back, haul some bicycles or maybe tow my boat to the nearest launch ramp but anything beyond 40 miles each way is going to be avoided.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I did get the hitch in case I want to take a utility trailer to Home Depot and back, haul some bicycles or maybe tow my boat to the nearest launch ramp but anything beyond 40 miles each way is going to be avoided.
This is where some type of destination charging will really help. If you could get 6 to 10 hours charging while you are out boating could really extend the range. Will be a slow process to get all this in place.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

I agree charging is the most important issue EV's have for future growth. You should be able to use any charger you see IMO. There should be standardization across all vehicles and chargers.

Parochial charging networks like Supercharger and Rivan's proposed network are a detriment to EV acceptance. I have never pulled into a gas station and not been able to fill up because I drove the wrong brand of vehicle. All the different systems and plugs don't help either.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Parochial charging networks like Supercharger and Rivan's proposed network are a detriment to EV acceptance. I have never pulled into a gas station and not been able to fill up because I drove the wrong brand of vehicle. All the different systems and plugs don't help either.

We have an in-house expert who left this forum (or on sabbatical being exasperated by over moderation) about the different adapters that can help EV owners tap into other networks.

But yes, I agree, there should be standardization or into generics to push for the acceleration of EV adaption.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Diesel used to be fairly uncommon around town. Mostly just along highways.

Then came the diesel cars and now diesel can be found on almost every corner. I believe the same is happening with electrics.

Most plugs are standard or there are two connectors. Even today you need to choose regular/super/E15 or whatever. Not all stores take Discover or AMEX either.

And for many it is best for more of this to get sorted out before they jump into the future.

Of course the best electric network and most used will be your home charging and included on your existing electric bill at a cost of half or less than the gas/diesel you are currently using.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Then came the diesel cars and now diesel can be found on almost every corner. I believe the same is happening with electrics.

Most plugs are standard or there are two connectors. Even today you need to choose regular/super/E15 or whatever. Not all stores take Discover or AMEX either.

And for many it is best for more of this to get sorted out before they jump into the future.

Of course the best electric network and most used will be your home charging and included on your existing electric bill at a cost of half or less than the gas/diesel you are currently using.

So what. I have never pulled into a station to buy diesel for my truck and been told I couldn't fuel up because I had the wrong brand of vehicle. Not being able to use all available charging stations is a disincentive to buying an EV no matter how you try to justify it.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

So what. I have never pulled into a station to buy diesel for my truck and been told I couldn't fuel up because I had the wrong brand of vehicle. Not being able to use all available charging stations is a disincentive to buying an EV no matter how you try to justify it.
How would you ever show up at a Tesla Supercharger if navigating with your Ford Lightning truck?

Likewise if you have a Cybertruck the navigation will take you from Supercharger to Supercharger to your destination.

What do you think happens now if your company credit card is a Chevron branded card? You better navigate between Chevron stations.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

That's great if you have a single family residence that can support the extra amps. There are probably way over a hundred million people in this country that don't live in one. 'Home' charging is also going to a giant issue to EV adoption.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.