|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Camping Stove Design Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
porterwake

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I have a popup camper too, with a stove that moves from inside to outside. How nice since there are gas lines in both spots.

I hook the stove up, push the button down to lite, and try to light the burner. Nothing. Check that all valves are open, gas tank full, furnace works great. Nothing.

Take the stove unit, apart and this is what is under the top plate.
[image]

Curious about this design. I was going to say that I'm not chemist but, I am a chemist and gas doesn't follow a path that is open.

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what is the issue? Gas comes thru the small orifice and mixes with the air and travels to the burner where it is ignited. Can you hear gas coming thru the orifice before you try to light the burner? If not loosen the large brass nut at the bottom of the picture and see it you have gas flowing there. Work your way back till you find the problem.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that is a regulator where the copper line is attached, you cannot have two regulators, one at the tank and another in the stove. Possibly the wrong stove was supplied.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some campers use a high pressure regulator at the tank and step it down at the appliance.
The air gap is normal. That is basically a carburator that mixes air with the propane to get the proper mixture of fuel and air for burning. It looks wrong and dangerous but it is normal.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

porterwake

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

So what is the issue? Gas comes thru the small orifice and mixes with the air and travels to the burner where it is ignited. Can you hear gas coming thru the orifice before you try to light the burner? If not loosen the large brass nut at the bottom of the picture and see it you have gas flowing there. Work your way back till you find the problem.

I can light the gas at the point of the knobs.

porterwake

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If that is a regulator where the copper line is attached, you cannot have two regulators, one at the tank and another in the stove. Possibly the wrong stove was supplied.

The gas at the front of the popup camper is directly in the tank, no regulator. When I light the gas at the point of the knob, it is very weak and does not come with with very high pressure.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its a low pressure system. Its should have the same flow as when you use it inside, if it dosent, you may have obstructions in the line. They could just be spider webs. You could try to blow out the lines.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and if its double regulated, it will not work well at all. Thats why they asked if it has a seprate regulater.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Oh, and if its double regulated, it will not work well at all. Thats why they asked if it has a seprate regulater.
When I replaced my cooktop, both the old and new had a built in regulator. I'm assuming that the built in regulator drops the typical 11" WC to a lower value. I replaced the old one because the regulator malfunctioned. It worked well prior and the new one works well.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many RV cooktops have a secondary regulator.

It sure sounds like the tubes between the orifices and the burners are clogged, or the burners themselves. Since there's gas coming out of the orifice, and not the burner, that's about all that it can realistically be.

The open slots are intentional, and are designed to mix the propane and the air. A Bunsen burner in the chemistry lab has pretty much an identical setup, albeit vertically, as indeed do most gas appliances. Often there's some way to adjust the size of the air holes to get the proper air/gas mixture if needed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Camping Stove Design Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.