RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Happijacs, what will happen if.........

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijacs, what will happen if.........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mt-ed

Montaha

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When reading about the operation of my happijac electric camper jacks, it stated numerous places, "Never raise the back of the camper higher than the front".

Why? Is the location of the front jacks at a fulcrum point of the camper and if the back gets too high it will tip over front ways?

That's about the only thing I can think of. Anyone else know of any other reasons?

Thanks in advance.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The center of gravity is roughly 1/3 of the way back on the camper floor on most campers. It will not topple.
But the jacks are not designed to take a lot of side (right/left/fwd/aft) loads. As far as I see it, you would create a forward momentum on the front jacks which would try to bend them backwards. They are under a lot of stress as is and don't have a lot of reserves. A jack mount might fail or a jack leg might bend, or a jack might loose footing and slide away. In which case you will end up with a buckled jack and a camper on the front or side...
(Sorry for potentially botched non-engineering language. Not an engineer, and not a native english speaker at this end)

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Never raise the back of the camper higher than the front"....Why”??

“Stop, the stove is HOT, DON’T TOUCH A HOT STOVE”!!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really isn’t any reason to when you are loading/unloading. Instead, I think the common recommendation is to raise the front slightly to be able to pull out without dragging. Off the bed, you probably would only need to barely have the front or rear out of level assuming you picked a reasonable spot.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at it as weight transfer, front jacks already carry a lot more than rear. As the rear jacks are raised some of their weight/load moves to front. IE not paying attention I can easily raise one rear jack off the ground-
To a degree yes the fronts are at fulcrum point and the higher rear is the closer they get. Also they are mounted to camper at 90°, feet, front & rear are fixed to ground so as you raise as mentioned and load becomes less vertical thru legs (tube) is when tube failure more likely. Even with front jacks fully collapsed and rears full extended I doubt you could topple over on its nose, though mostly because either the jacks would buckle or mounts fail first.

Be interesting on camper destined for recycle to test some of these failure scenarios to see what really happens.
But not on mine, going up/down nose is always higher till it contacts bed of truck.

AISURFFISH

BERLIN MARYLAND

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mt-ed wrote:

"Never raise the back of the camper higher than the front".

Why?

If you seriously have to ask this question then you do not need to be owning a truck camper...

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab
Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AISURFFISH wrote:

mt-ed wrote:

Why?

If you seriously have to ask this question then you do not need to be owning a truck camper...

I disagree with this statement.

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AISURFFISH wrote:

mt-ed wrote:

Why?

PLEASE DON'T BE NASTY TO A PERSON WHO IS TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND THE STATEMENT!

LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

mt-ed

Montaha

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AISURFFISH wrote:

mt-ed wrote:

Why?

Hmmmm...your response clearly indicates that you do not know the answer to my question either, and camouflage your ignorance with such a useless response!

"If" you are truely so wise and "all" knowing why are you here if all you're going to do is insult those of us that are trying to learn?

Your response added absolutely NOTHING to the advancement of truck camping!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mt-ed wrote:

AISURFFISH wrote:

mt-ed wrote:

Why?

Hmmmm...your response clearly indicates that you do not know the answer to my question either, and camouflage your ignorance with such a useless response!

"If" you are truely so wise and "all" knowing why are you here if all you're going to do is insult those of us that are trying to learn?

Your response added absolutely NOTHING to the advancement of truck camping!

Bingo!
I never saw that warning on our (heavy) TC and can guarantee the back was higher multiple times. Either when loading / unloading on uneven ground that sloped down to the front.
Never fingered it was an issue (within reason of course).
I'd guess it's a catch all statement due to someone, somewhere, sometime, lifting it way out of level front to back, having an issue and purporting that the issue was caused by the lack of a warning.
Similar to the don't stick you hands under a lawnmower stickers...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijacs, what will happen if.........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.