|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dwight Eisenhower envisioned the interstate highway system for commerce and defense. Much of my income has been from road repair/construction. The rest, I used the roads.
For decades I have said the interstate system ought to be moved to Dept of Defense. This would let the $ spent on interstates be used for other highways, and DoD can always get money for anything

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the question is, how much are you willing to pay to fix them? Gas tax revenue keeps getting less and less, You willing to pay a tax per mile you drive. Or maybe we should just keep on putting it on the credit card and hand the bill to our kids and grandkids like the infrastructure plan under consideration now proposes.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The real problem is that the money from fuel tax, tolls, vehicle licensing etc, all of it doesn’t go to road repairs. A good amount of it goes to other places it was never meant to go. So our roads and highways suffer because of misappropriation.

And an additional problem is the people that want to believe that one president is responsible for this. They don't seem to understand that CONGRESS, the bi-partisan body, is responsible for funding. Then when funding is approved, it is distributed to the STATES to be spent how they see fit.

Blaming a single administration is just foolish. Our politicians on both sides of the aisle have been mis-appropriating money from infrastructure and Social Security to fund pet projects of their own for my entire life.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe we should give even more to those that want to buy electric vehicles and not pay a thing towards the highways. Then we can overload the power grid destroying yet another piece of infrastructure. [emoticon]

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll concur on the condition of I-10 in LA. I-95 is about the same in SC. The roads here in NC seem pretty good. Just wait till the BIG DEAL gets approved.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Maybe we should give even more to those that want to buy electric vehicles and not pay a thing towards the highways. Then we can overload the power grid destroying yet another piece of infrastructure. [emoticon]

That would be a bigger problem if anyone actually used those things outside the left coast. The obvious fix is to tax electrics by the mile and keep the gas tax for ICE vehicles/ And to restrict both taxes to road maintenance

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Studies show electric vehicles will not overload the grid.

I've had to learn to drive with my wheels out of the truck ruts. I-40 is pretty bad out west.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With current technology available today it would be a simple software project to have an EV report how many miles and/or how many watts of electricity they are using. Then they can be taxed like everything else.
BUT how that tax revenue will be used is the problem.
And not to defend our roads here in Louisiana but our ground foundation especially in southern Louisiana is not like other states. We don't have bedrock or sand to build on so regardless of the type of roadway it will never be up to other state's standards.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

folivier wrote:

BUT how that tax revenue will be used is the problem.
And not to defend our roads here in Louisiana but our ground foundation especially in southern Louisiana is not like other states. We don't have bedrock or sand to build on so regardless of the type of roadway it will never be up to other state's standards.

Yeah but you don't have frost heave...heh

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

The real problem is that the money from fuel tax, tolls, vehicle licensing etc, all of it doesn’t go to road repairs. A good amount of it goes to other places it was never meant to go. So our roads and highways suffer because of misappropriation.

And an additional problem is the people that want to believe that one president is responsible for this. They don't seem to understand that CONGRESS, the bi-partisan body, is responsible for funding. Then when funding is approved, it is distributed to the STATES to be spent how they see fit.

Blaming a single administration is just foolish. Our politicians on both sides of the aisle have been mis-appropriating money from infrastructure and Social Security to fund pet projects of their own for my entire life.

This is mostly spot on. Save for the part about the FHWA funding going to the states to use as they wish. There is "some" flexibility in "which" transportation projects get the funding, although that is largely decided before the check is cut as well.
But there is not an avenue, that I'm aware of, for states to misappropriate FHWA funds, as the funds are linked directly to specific projects. If anything, aside from the financial assistance, FHWA funding also ensures project time lines, because the funds are predicated on a time clock with which to use them for each specific endeavor, which pushes the states to otherwise prioritize those projects, lest they lose the funding.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.