|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

The federal infrastructure plan from 2017 to 2021 never materialized. Things will get better soon.

LOL

Yup. Seems to me that $174 billion on electric vehicles and $6 billion on a library won't help the roads much. There is $115 billion earmarked for roads, bridges, etc. but somehow I'm sure it will never make it there.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

the pitch after WW2 was to have a national highway system to move troops and equipment for if we would have to defend our own borders. For this primary function the interstate system is far better now than ever.

How's that working at the southern border right now?

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

So the question is, how much are you willing to pay to fix them? Gas tax revenue keeps getting less and less, You willing to pay a tax per mile you drive. Or maybe we should just keep on putting it on the credit card and hand the bill to our kids and grandkids like the infrastructure plan under consideration now proposes.

This might be part of the issue, but the larger issue is the revenue that should be for infrastructure maint and improvement being re-directed to "other" things.

Having been in supervision and management of Heavy civil, heavy highway general contracting since I got out of college, and having performed work in about 10 different states, from my standpoint, alot of the country is in a lose lose scenario. Many states are so far behind now, that even in the best of times, they cant even keep up, much less get ahead.

The appropriation of funds is astounding, how much of the "transportation" budget gets used for other things.
We have a large project going on in Seattle currently. $450M project reconstructing the last part of the SR520 approach onto the Lake Washington floating bridge. Of that total contract value (design and construct), almost $200M of it is being spent to effectively improve the Montlake neighborhood and provide a sprawling park/nature experience for the peds and pedal pushers, by way of building yet another lid over the freeway that is about 1000% larger than it needs to be to simply convey vehicles and all other multimodal traffic over the freeway.

Talk about corruption....essentially the City of Seattle gets a free, massive, capital improvement project for it's residents and the transportation department and FHWA is footing the bill!
With all due respect, this must not be a real problem because the same people making these decisions keep getting re-elected; for 20, 30 even 40 years.

^A perfect demonstration of politicians selecting priorities for their own gain. He/she might say "Can't see how the underground stuff is crumbling, and I want to get re-elected. Lets build a great big beautiful park/swimming pool/whatever that everyone can see and give me brownie points to use to get re-elected."

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I can report on I20 in Louisiana, starts off on the west, very nicely with asphalt pavement, I'd give it a 8/10. Get to Slidell and if concrete lasts 20 years I'd estimate the Slidell concrete as nearing social security age, rated a zero. The rest followed suit, very bad patches interspersed with fairly good blacktop. On average a 3/10. Happily we are stopped 35 miles from Vicksburg.

The Louisiana Road Dept seems to be incapable of putting blacktop on top of the awful concrete surface for the whole 150 miles or so. Bridges are awful too, mostly concrete.

The eastern 70 miles or so of Texas I20 were all good in contrast.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

We build beautiful roads and bridges in other countries, just not our own.
In our 50 States road contracts go out to the lowest bidder who has to use the cheapest asphalt, the quickest methods and the lowest paid workers to get the contract. Roads fall apart as soon as they are built.
In Europe they use high-grade asphalt with rubber bits to keep the pavement from cracking and falling apart, they do not hire the cheapest bidder. Their roads look like Main Street Disneyland.
Ours are terrible. Our pavement ends at the white line, pavement needs to extend wider than the road as water damage occurs because there lacks margins. Many many problems

You're wrong about a number of things.If the work you are doing is federally funded, you must pay prevailing wage and benefits.The asphalt is tested for temperature when it goes in. The feds will sometimes audit your company to make sure those wages and benefits make sure they meet federal standards.Most of the work done on interstate is done by union shops and their work is pretty high quality.And they do not have to use the lowest bidder if that contractor had issues in the past.Europe's roads are better.But remember, a lot of people take the train. Their train system blows our away.And, their cars are mostly smaller and lighter. I fault the people who design our roads. They should look at how the Romans built roads,some of which are still in use.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the discussion everyone.

You all did pretty well to avoid the politics, but there's way to avoid the political stuff in a topic like this.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Interstate highway conditions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.