RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Finally some good news on the puppy front!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Finally some good news on the puppy front!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the puppy!
2 puppies is a big commitment.

Our 4 sets of two littermates we have raised have always been “his and hers” puppies (and from our own litters). We’ve shared puppy chores and watching duties; but we each had our own and they were more bonded to their person. The key was making sure they were more bonded to their person than each other. They got play time with each other but they also got one on one time with us and especially with their person. Also, our puppies were raised in a household with at least 4 adult dogs of varying ages (senior down to 4 year old) one of which was their mother.

* This post was edited 05/25/21 09:07pm by BCSnob *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the new pups. I waited until I was 60 to get two Collie pups. Sawyer was born Dec 1 and Sasha was born July 1st so a little age difference. For about 2 months Cooper taught Sawyer the ropes before Cooper passed from oral cancer. This led to the decesion to get another Collie.

Best thing I ever did was getting two young Collies at the same time. The would rough house and play until they dropped and keep each other entertained. They are best buds.

Now Sawyer is 2.5 and Sasha will be 2 July 1st. No regrets.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dalmatian/Lab taught her how to climb the 5' chain-link fence.

Our 150 lb bloodhound could do the same-it was amazing! Somehow he managed to dive over and land safely. We fixed that behavior in a hurry!

Still thinking. One minute it's one, next minute it's two. Still don't know if the breeder even has a 2nd one available. Time will tell!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a small poodle-terrier who could and would scale the 6ft wood fence in seconds. She was a little sh!t.

I could have handled four baby Moose-dogs. He was so easy and good and never made it feel like work.

Tornado-dog, on the other hand... Two of him for one day would kill me. Even on his best behavior, he saps your energy.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boarded our 1st two border collies with an agility trainer when we first moved to MD. One of our dogs learned to climb a 6’ chainlink fence by putting her legs through the holes. The trainer watched her do it in order to figure out how she was getting out of the kennel run.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My foster husky/shepherd at her new home would escape her kennel. She also would jump up to the top of the wood fence and stand on the top rail watching the kids nextdoor playing. Why? Because she could.

So far all my dogs have been good about staying in their yard (except the sh!t). With a couple dogs, if they got out an open gate at home, they hung out on the front porch waiting for me to come home.

At my parents, my dad was notorious for putting my dog(s) out back as soon as my mom and I went out. My neurotic psychotic shepherd would open the gate and get out. She'd go straight to my car or my mom's and wait for me to come back and take her home. If my dad's dog was outside at the time, he'd take off running. My dad blamed my dog for his dog running. He never did get that if he just left my dog in the house she'd be fine until I got back. Moose-dog was the only dog of mine he didn't do that with. He tried when I first got him (at 8 weeks) -made me put him in a crate when I had to go out. But it backfired on him. He got tired of the whining and decided to let my puppy "sink or swim" with his adult akita. Moose-dog LOVED that overgrown bear. Because of that, he was the first and only dog of mine that my dad never said a mean word about or sent outside.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My backyard is fenced and I purchased 8000 sq feet of my neighbors yard so the Collies have some room to roam. If I'm outside they have the run of the front yard as well. They both know to stop at the curb and not go onto the street.

2 houses down they have a big Siberian Husky (Charlie). The Collies like to go down and visit Charlie. If Charlie gets off his chain he makes a beline to my back yard to play with the Collies. If I want Charlie to go home I give him a dog biscuit and he runs home to eat it.

I've never owned a kennel and the Collies go in and out of the house whenever they wish. They know when they need to go outside and no reason for me to be a doorman.

I also have never hit or spanked them. I use positive reinforcement.

* This post was edited 05/26/21 07:03pm by colliehauler *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had adopted a nice golden. She was 13-1/2 and her owners had died. One day I came home to find the gate open and the dog nowhere in sight. I hopped in the car and started driving the neighborhood to find her.

About 5 houses down, I saw a bunch of little kids playing in their front yard. In the middle of them was a golden. I stopped and called for her. The mom came out and asked if that was my dog. She was. Apparently she had seen the kids and decided to watch them. She had been there for several hours just enjoying being around the kids.

My dogs are indoor dogs. I used to have a dog door, but that's how the burglars got into my house, so I have eliminated it. I am planning on installing a storm door with a dog door so I can open the main door and let the dogs come and go when I am home. Tornado-dog does believe I am the doorman... but he comes and praises me every night after I feed them. Sometimes, I wonder who is training who.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand completely that a dog door is not a option for some for a variety of reasons. Security, unwanted critters and probably more that I'm unaware of.

Toad toes thieves suck. Years ago I came home from work and some small children were playing with the Collies going in and out of the dog door. I knew the family of two of them and their neighbors children. Another funny incident my sister had flown in from California and was going to go to the house until I got off work. My old door stuck a little when it rained but was not locked. She thought it was and crawled through the dog door, had a good laugh about that.

In the eighties I went to California to visit her for the first time. She gave me a lecture about taking the keys out of the car and locking it. I came from a small town where it was common to leave the keys in the vechicle. Mom and Dad lived in the same house for 30 years and never locked their front door. When I went to sell the house I had to have keys made. Different times.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 01:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had a problem in over 20 years, but all it takes is once and you just can't ignore the risk anymore. Right now I'm debating the storm door just because I'm afraid The Twooney (cats) will sneak out with the dogs. They already try to sneak out as the dogs come in through the door.

Years ago, my sibling came up with a friend to drop off some furniture. I had gone out to visit my dad at a show not knowing when they'd arrive. I came home and saw my front door wide open. I walked in and my sibling and her friend were sitting watching tv. She said she remembered I had a dog door so climbed through it.

I asked "where's my dog? She said "with you". I said "no, she was home". I searched in the garage and barn and no dog. I asked again where my dog was. My sibling swore they never saw the dog. I went around the house looking everywhere.

In the bedroom, between the bed and the wall was my shepherd. My sibling made rude comments about my great guarddog. I just said "I'd rather come home to a live dog and no tv, than a dead dog and no tv.".

When I was home, she was right there protecting me. But the tv wasn't worth risking her life. I agreed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Finally some good news on the puppy front!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.