RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: DC to DC converter for small electronics

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DC to DC converter for small electronics

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

Hey Matt, Check this video out for fun. This guy is a technical wiz and created a NAS system from parts he had. He has a 5 volt power supply for his setup and a Raspberry PI is the controller. IT may or may not be useful to you but it is interesting to see what can be done if you have the knowledge. Hope you have your setup figured out by now. Looking forward to a full report upon completion and implementation...

That one actually is rather neat [emoticon]. Using low power 5v USB drives solves the 12 volt power issue that is needed with large 3.5" drives like the QNAP nas I have is.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Hey Matt, Check this video out for fun. This guy is a technical wiz and created a NAS system from parts he had. He has a 5 volt power supply for his setup and a Raspberry PI is the controller. IT may or may not be useful to you but it is interesting to see what can be done if you have the knowledge. Hope you have your setup figured out by now. Looking forward to a full report upon completion and implementation...

That one actually is rather neat [emoticon]. Using low power 5v USB drives solves the 12 volt power issue that is needed with large 3.5" drives like the QNAP nas I have is.

Have you dedicated yourself to any one solution yet? Keep us informed. This will be interesting to see your final installation and your review...

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Have you dedicated yourself to any one solution yet? Keep us informed. This will be interesting to see your final installation and your review...

The QNAP I already own, so its a zero dollar outlay, I've had it for a few years now, its just collecting dust.

At current, I plan to forgo using a direct DC to DC converter with it, due to the issues with getting similar voltage regulation to work properly, and instead using the stock AC to DC power supply since the cabover entertainment center cabinet's 110volt outlets are already part of the circuit in the camper that auto changes between Inverter and Shore power (when shore power is plugged in).

I will be looking into DC to DC for the network extending unit (which doubles as our 1GbE local network switch for connecting wired devices like the Roku and NAS/Plex unit), as it only needs 5volts DC to power it, which there are numerous readily made 5volt converters.

In either case, this thread has provided substantial useful information as to what I was looking for, and who makes quality products these days, as well as few other neat things to look at.

CaFordGuy

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For inexpensive DC to DC converters I have used "Mean Well" brand. Bought them through Jameco supply. Use one to power a Ham Radio inorder to maintain a stable 13.8VDC for consistent power output . Use another to supply a USB C adapter which was inordinately fussy about input voltage. The specs are pretty good but I have never put them on a 'scope to look at the output waveform.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DC to DC converter for small electronics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.