|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> beginner full-time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Escapees used to have an excellent guide on how to set up a domicile and suggest checking that out. For us, selling the stuff in the home was the most difficult part of going full time.
I've backpack camped prior to kids and took them tent camping every year. Below is our 1st RV and it's not been a problem for us switching to it. We've read, read and read blogs and forums for 10+yrs prior to going full time. Lot's of great info on line now to help you along.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete 2nd post

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Have you decided on a landing spot when your done travelling? After selling down on possessions, you will have some items to store, where you do that can simplify things later if you already know roughly where.

There's absolutely no reason to select a 'landing spot' before starting to full-time. How can you do that? You haven't seen the country yet. We sold everything and had no idea how long we'd be full-timing or what we'd do when we were ready to quit.

I will recommend though if you sell a house that you invest that money and not use it to buy your RV. That money will be your exit strategy. Go into full-time debt-free.

Putting things in storage can be very expensive and you could buy again for what you'd pay over the years. Then your stuff is outdated.

As it turned out we continued for 16 years and it was only in the last year where we decided to set roots again. It was in an altogether different part of the country from where we lived last.

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2g's wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Have you decided on a landing spot when your done travelling? After selling down on possessions, you will have some items to store, where you do that can simplify things later if you already know roughly where.

There's absolutely no reason to select a 'landing spot' before starting to full-time. How can you do that? You haven't seen the country yet. We sold everything and had no idea how long we'd be full-timing or what we'd do when we were ready to quit.

I will recommend though if you sell a house that you invest that money and not use it to buy your RV. That money will be your exit strategy. Go into full-time debt-free.

Putting things in storage can be very expensive and you could buy again for what you'd pay over the years. Then your stuff is outdated.

As it turned out we continued for 16 years and it was only in the last year where we decided to set roots again. It was in an altogether different part of the country from where we lived last.

I’ve been “RV’ng” 56-years. So this comment is about what was to be seen and heard from my grandparents and parents in re “full timing” (and of their peers), not just my own much more recent experiences.

There will come a day it becomes more work than is reasonable. Age 75 (my Dad and Grandads choices 25-years apart as to “times up”) is a fair calendar choice. Not fast in concrete. It may be 12-15/years out. So where and with whom nearby will you cease & desist from these travels.

What church and what community ties? The kindness of pure-D strangers, or a mix of family & friends? This is why it’s called a strategy. Saving pennies (choice of domicile) doesn’t mean much at second retirement (from the road). That change WILL be composed of those people with whom you wish to share the evenings more than $$.

Many say (don’t think) they’ll choose a cheap place for now (tax & registration) versus building the warmth of friendship over the years of travel. “Home”.

They’ll change everything on that next turn of the wheel.

I’ll tell you it leaves more to chance than makes good sense. Sudden debilitating illness, an accident with ENORMOUS out-of-pocket expenses, etc, can be life-changing in ways we don’t want.

Get some things done early. Not AFTER your spouse drops dead unexpectedly.

Doesn’t maybe mean buy a house or land (your own particulars apply as to specifics), BUT UNLESS your family is prepared to take you in after Alzheimer’s, etc, you’d be best off looking at EVERYTHING.

During the first year out will suffice for time. Make the clean break. Get that weight off your back. And don’t be afraid to start over on what you TODAY think you’ll do.

But don’t put it off too long.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 01:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get it...there does need to be a plan for WHEN we no longer do this. Since hubby has been dealing with 5 hour drives to rescue his parents when help doesn't show up (along with his siblings taking turns), he is adement that we be near our children (which is ny state but one is in AZ/off grid...too hot). So we have decided that we will eventually settle there and build a small house.
We are 65 and 66 and in fairly good shape...although his knees have been a problem for many years (like age 30!) and I suspect we will be okay until at least age 75 but that gives us a number to go buy...thank you. I asked him, what about living in our kids driveway forever...he's like a nope.

And yes, if one of us drops dead, things will change dramatically and no one wants to have "OH ****" moments and to scurry around.

The good part for our kids is that we can be of help now (babysitting and help with diy stuff) and we are getting rid of our stuff NOW so they don't have to do it. One son is receiving a lot of it toolwise.

Thank you for this perspective...which I probably needed more than hubby.

Our Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> beginner full-time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.