|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was a nice catch also, could have been bad. Good thing you didnt need the knowlage of running 2 million wires over your lifetime to fix it. Unlike the people that put it in like that.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]
Really glad I found "that problem" and fixed it BUT, I hooked up a did a few miles, twice when I hit a bump I got "the message" check trailer brake wiring. Now I am fearing there is another spot. The way this is going and with everyone busy and trying to hire help, I may be in for more crawling under the trailer. Bad thing, leaving for a 1200 mile vacation Friday. I think I am back to the wire thru the tube and all the connectors.

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to narrow your search all four wheels either work or don't work correct?
If that is correct then make sure you have good connections on both sides of the trailer plug and truck receptacle. work back into the trailer from the breakout location where the 7 wires separate to run the lights brakes etc. to the first connection at the left side of the front axle. Eye balling the connections won't tell you a thing. When I suffered the loss of all 4 wheel brakes it was a bad crimp connection where the 7 wire cord spliced onto the trailer wiring.

Good luck

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this helps, when I pulled the breakaway I had zero brakes but I had power at the front axle drivers side. That is when I started searching and found the bare wires. My logic (for what it's worth) now is a bad connector or wire between left/right side.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

photo
Either I am a lot better at solving wiring problems than posting pictures or they have made this pretty difficult?

That is a problem in the making, and good you found it. But I see no sign of arcing. If the power was not going to ground, the wires would still carry currant to where it should go. You still have a loose connection
I can't see where it is located, did it rub a tire?

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

If this helps, when I pulled the breakaway I had zero brakes but I had power at the front axle drivers side. That is when I started searching and found the bare wires. My logic (for what it's worth) now is a bad connector or wire between left/right side.

I'd cut that connector off and redo the splice.

You see power there yet none of the 4 wheel's brakes work. If it was farther "downstream" in the circuit some of the brakes would work.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azbohunter wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Replace all the splices, wiring never fails in the middle, always at the connections.

I have checked everything visible and I can't see anything that looks like it would be a problem. I have heard of insulation wearing off inside the axles over time. It might not be my problem but I think that I will pull new wires thru and then I will know.

We had that issue and it was 2" of bare wire in the axle tube.

chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

azbohunter wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Replace all the splices, wiring never fails in the middle, always at the connections.

I have checked everything visible and I can't see anything that looks like it would be a problem. I have heard of insulation wearing off inside the axles over time. It might not be my problem but I think that I will pull new wires thru and then I will know.

We had that issue and it was 2" of bare wire in the axle tube.

chevman

I'm going there today, that is still my suspicion.

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So just to eliminate items as I go thru this. I pulled the wires that run thru the tubes and found no issues. I cut off all connectors and am headed to get parts to replace this stuff. I wonder if there is a chance that it could be inside one of the wheels? I'm thinking not as when the brakes worked all four tires slid on the gravel. I have Dexter never lube axles and although I have had one off and back on I would rather not go there. My fear now is that it could be something inside the belly of the fiver and that is a real chore, and I have been there in the past too. I have owned this rig for 12 years and put lots of miles on and doing all the maintanence myself, I pretty much have seen it all.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no chance it's in one of the wheels. Only thing that could happen inside a wheel is the magnet goes bad either open (only that wheel wouldn't have brakes), or it shorts out blowing the fuse in your truck that furnishes 12V to the brake controller.

Just a tip put some Vaseline into your new crimp wirenuts to weatherproof them before inserting the wires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> intermittent brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.