|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Satellite Pre-Wiring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you installed a dome and not a Trav'ler. What was your final setup?

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Sounds like you installed a dome and not a Trav'ler. What was your final setup?

I did not install a dome or a Trav'ler. I had a dealer install an RF Mogul Eagle which is very similar to a Trav'ler.

IT worked great immediately after installation, but I had problems "acquiring a signal" the first time I moved to another location. Many support calls to Dish before finally getting a tech that identified the problem. The problem was the pre-wired coax that was used to connect the antenna controller to the receiver.

Instead of trying to get the bad coax replaced which would have been difficult and expensive, I ran a coax inside the trailer from the cabinet at the rear of the trailer where the controller box was located to the slide out with the entertainment center and Dish receiver. The cabinet and the entertainment center are only about 4 feet apart so I was able to do a neat run of the coax, and I left a loop of extra length that allows the slide out to move in and out without stressing the coax.

So far, so good.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HD and multiple channel reception (My DTV records 5) require better coax and connectors - ie less loss and higher bandwidth. This is for better reliability. If by dealer you mean RV dealer then I'm not suprised.

I'm curious: Was the prewire adequate for the power wires to the dish?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

HD and multiple channel reception (My DTV records 5) require better coax and connectors - ie less loss and higher bandwidth. This is for better reliability. If by dealer you mean RV dealer then I'm not suprised.

I'm curious: Was the prewire adequate for the power wires to the dish?

The installation was done by a Dish Network dealer that was an authorized installer of the RF Mogul antenna. He ran a new coax from the antenna thru the roof to the controller inside the rear/upper cabinet. He also connected the antenna to the controller with the multi-wire cable that provides power and control signals to the antenna.

To get the satellite signal from the controller to the receiver, he ran a new coax back up thru the roof to a pre-wired coax jack whos associated coax cable ran to the entertainment center where the receiver was located. (With the RF Mogul system, the satellite signal passes thru the controller to the receiver.)

He initially detected that the pre-wired jack was seriously corroded so he replaced it. When he checked out the installation, the system worked fine. (I don't know that he actually measured the quality of the signal going to the receiver. The system worked so apparently all was good.)

However, the problems I experienced where sometimes the receiver could acquire the signal and sometimes it couldn't, eventually lead to my running a new coax directly from the controller to the receiver (bypassing the pre-wired coax), and the problem went away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Satellite Pre-Wiring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.