|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Safe T Steering Stabilizer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
riverboaterbill

Omaha NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Guys,
I am considering a Safe T steering stabilizer for my 2020 Ford 450 chassis Leprechaun Class C. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tried this addition. It is expensive so I am being cautious. Thanks in Advance! Bill

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like they make a bigger difference on gas rigs than DPs. I removed the Safe- T-Plus (made in Atlanta) on my DP until I could make it adjustable on the fly...poor man’s Comfort Drive. I would not have bought one but since it was paid for, making it adjustable made it worthwhile. It made driving tiring when driving with a cross wind... have to hold the steering wheel off center/not straight ahead. In their older ads they admit it makes it harder for a driver to oversteer their rig... probably the biggest advantage. I realize there are plenty of happy owners that will recommend adding one.

Here is more info on making it adjustable on the fly:
here:

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, it seems like it creates a problem rather than fixing one.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riverboaterbill wrote:

Hi Guys,
I am considering a Safe T steering stabilizer for my 2020 Ford 450 chassis Leprechaun Class C. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tried this addition. It is expensive so I am being cautious. Thanks in Advance! Bill

What symptoms are you trying to fix ? Make sure you try the correct remedy.

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Positive caster is natures stabilizer. Too little +caster will create a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right at highway speeds.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire pressure and caster are the first two things to address to improve steering on the Ford E-van.

riverboaterbill

Omaha NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Guys! I had a through and accurate alignment from a truck center and they said they increased the caster as much as possible with stock Ford parts. I also installed a TPMS to monitor tire pressure. It still is a bear to drive especially with a cross wind or passing truck. I understand it is a high profile vehicle but I am hoping to find something to tame it down. I appreciate the replies!

2020 Coachmen Class C Leprechaun 260 DS
Perfect Wife
Ah Retirement!

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem.
I needed the Ford bushings added to gain more caster. I also added a rear track bar which bolts to the frame and rear axle. It eliminates any side movement which translates to the steer axle. This was a great improvement.

Or it can not translate but transfer [emoticon] [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/25/21 12:49pm by bobndot *

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riverboaterbill wrote:

Thanks Guys! I had a through and accurate alignment from a truck center and they said they increased the caster as much as possible with stock Ford parts. I also installed a TPMS to monitor tire pressure. It still is a bear to drive especially with a cross wind or passing truck. I understand it is a high profile vehicle but I am hoping to find something to tame it down. I appreciate the replies!

I upgraded the shock absorbers which not only reduced the banging when going over small obstacles like rail road tracks but also cut the side roll you speak of in half. With a front and rear stabilizer bar and new shocks it drove like a different vehicle. And yes, proper wheel alignment.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No mention of your tire pressures... Get the rig weighed loaded as you normally travel and then check the load/inflation tables from your tire manufacturer. Nothing else can give you the right pressures for your your rig. Ignore the door sticker and the max psi on the sidewalls.

Most Ford chassis Class C's can be cured of any ride and handling issues by doing a proper alignment to include upping the + caster and simply inflating your tires for the load they are actually carrying. At just a year old your original shocks should still be fine but down the road {so to speak} plan on upgrading. I went with heavy duty Bilstein's and they have been awesome.

Good luck!

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Safe T Steering Stabilizer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.