RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel Trailer or Motorhome?

For those of you that love to fish and boat……what RV did you choose?

Whichever we decide on it will be 30’ or less.

Motorhome would be used; Trailer could be new or used.

Budget: $40K

We’ve owned a Class A, Class C, Travel Trailer, and a 5er. We have been RVing for 20 years.

We are at a crossroads in our next selection of a camping rig. I’m retiring at the end of this June (58yo). Wife and I would like to spend travel and adventure time with our 16yo son who has Autism. He is a great kid, well-behaved, and enjoys traveling and camping! Our 22yo son just graduated from college and is enrolled in grad school; he will travel with us when off from school. So we will be traveling/sleeping three and occasionally four. A couple of small fur pets will join us when we travel with 4.

Over the next few years, we want to travel the Southwest/PNW (CA, NV, AZ, NM, ID, OR, WA, CO). Our trips will be between 2-3 weeks, 3-4 times per year. There will be trips when I travel alone for some fly fishing; these are in addition to family trips. No boat would be towed on these trips.

I own a small Arima 15’ Sea Sprinter boat and would love to take it with me, as we love places that have water….rivers, lakes, ocean/harbors. I use my boat regularly near my home so I get plenty of water and fish time!!!

I own a 2003 Ford F-350 V10 so towing a trailer is not an issue. I use a camper shell so no 5er for me.

Trailer:

Pros: Currently own a low mileage tow vehicle in great condition; cost is less to purchase and maintain. Tow vehicle is used to explore surrounding areas. If truck were to break down, trailer can be used while waiting for repairs. I could purchase a 12' raft and small outboard for use as needed. I can also fish rivers, lakes, surf without a boat.

Cons: Unable to tow my boat; long rig between trailer and truck; a little more work to set up

Motorhome:

Pros: Passengers have access to restroom; passengers able sleep on longer trips; can tow boat; small length when not towing boat; a vehicle can be towed in lieu of boat; if no vehicle to tow…a car can be rented locally

Cons: More expensive to maintain; no vehicle for visiting surround areas; smaller interior/living space vs trailer

Conclusion:

I really enjoy my boat and would love to take it along, but we also love to explore the areas we visit. Not sure a motorhome is conducive to using as a vehicle for sightseeing? I could purchase a 12’ raft and small outboard to use if I went the trailer route…it would allow me to access the water with 3-4 people.

What am I missing in my thoughts?
Other considerations?

Thoughts from those of you have been or are currently in this situation....RVer, boater, fisherman,....what did you do?

* This post was edited 05/27/21 02:57pm by Baja Man *

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you have the pro's and con's pretty well covered. You have the experience to understand them pretty well, after all.

Touring around with a smallish motorhome is certainly possible, though less convenient than using a tow vehicle. How much less convenient partly depends on the size of the motorhome and the area you're touring around in. I've done a fair bit of travel with my 32' class C and no towed vehicle, and have not generally felt the need to get a toad; however, that's partly because I've chosen to go places where having just the motorhome works out relatively nicely (either because things are within walking distance, or there's public transit available, or there's reasonable parking, etc. available for the motorhome).

Launching a boat from a trailer behind a motorhome might be problematic with some boat ramps, depending on the angles and such. It would stink to have to dip the back end in the water much, or to have the trailer angled at a really steep angle down because the part of the ramp the wheels are on is less sloped. I think it might work out better to install a front hitch for boat launching and retrieval purposes, though switching the trailer around end for end would probably become annoying.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another MH con: When MH is in shop, all of your things are with it, including where you live and sleep.

lampooner

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There used be rigs available to carry a boat above a truck bed.
I believe even with a camper shell in place.
There was a winch to launch & retrieve the boat as I recall.
Search the internet to see if still available if interested.

Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 friends with MHs that tow a truck and a boat (16') and trailer ON the truck. Ramps get the trailer up on the bed and a single channel with winch extend up and over the cab. Weight considerations would be a consideration depending upon the MH. A larger truck towing a trailer is an alternative but no truck bed cover.

For one the trailer wheels were inside the truck rails and another the wheels were on top of the rails.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were younger and felt safe getting in and out a boat and wanted to fish (my passion). I would stow an inflatable rubber floating thing of some kind in my Terrain along with a motor of some kind. I helped roll up a white-water kayak once and four would fit in the back of my Terrain with ease. Heck, a collapsible hard sided boat could go on the car rack. With hand trailer and motor in the back of the car.

I would not give up the convenience of my 2014 class C with, one slide (I almost never use) for travel. In your case a Class C with a cab over bunk would work fine for you folks if it was 28’ or 29’ long.

One other thought is look into used rental class Cs. Lot of folks love them.

A long thread but worth reading.
Rental RVs

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fisherman and know exactly what you're faced with. I've owned class a's and b's when towing the boat. But now own a TT and leave the boat at home. I do have an e350 van that has a sofa/bed that I tow the boat when fishing for a day or two but leave the wife at home. Lol

With a tow vehicle I had to choose between towing the boat or trailer
With a MH, I had to choose between boat or toad. But can always rent a car when towing a boat.

The adage "You can't have your cake and eat it too" comes to mind. LOL.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about a Toy Hauler? I saw one at Newport Dunes a few years ago,pulled up,dropped ramp and unloaded boat and trailer using a winch,left and returned with truck and launched the boat.

Great fun to watch the launch ramp while having a bite at the Back Bay Bistro

There were a few old posts here on the Net about that but the pictures have all gone away. I think there are YouTube videos too.

You might ask over in the Toy Hauler sub forum,they are a pretty tight group and very helpful.

* This post was edited 05/27/21 09:56pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 24ft class C so we can tow boat. The C is small enough that we haven't ran into many situations where we couldn't get around it so don't miss a toad.

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every setup has it's limitations....
Couple thoughts, depending how big a boat will float your boat while campering.
Toyhauler idea. If ya do that right, you could stuff a small trailerable boat inside. Cons, we just bought a toyhauler and it's so nice inside I cant see pulling toys in and out all the time.
The other downside is the toy needs to come out every night at a minimum to comfortably use the camper with your family. More of a destination thing than a nomad type rig. Different if it was just a dirtbike or something small you could "live" around.

Moho will tow whatever boat you want and honestly is IMO the second most versatile choice for towing something and RVing at the same time and the best choice for interior room and towing.

The most versatile, but short on interior room is a TC on your F350 and then you can tow with that.

Best of luck in your decision and your future!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.