RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no perfect RV!
Only compromises.

A truck camper might be too small for 3 unless u get a giant one that requires a dually, but is perfect for towing a trailer.

If you like your boat along, then really IMO the motorhome is what you need. Get the smallest one you can stand to live in. Considering 2-3 weeks at a time you can maybe manage tight quarters as opposed to people who go months on end in one. A short one will have less coach behind the rear axle and make towing a little easier (backing up and sharp turns at least).
Driving around sight seeing in a shorty motorhome (Im imagining a short class-c) is not a big deal. You can get to a lot of places, though a little slower and with a bit more gas used.
IF you want your boat along, then get a motorhome. I would not want to deal with an inflatable where half the time it is not worth bothering with, but thats me...

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

either a 5th wheel and tow the trailer behind that. Or a toy hauler 5th wheel with room for a big zodiac type boat in the back.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

either a 5th wheel and tow the trailer behind that. Or a toy hauler 5th wheel with room for a big zodiac type boat in the back.

The poster is in California, where recreational double towing is not permitted. A trailer behind a fifth wheel would legally require a CDL with a double towing endorsement (and all that goes with it, such as medicals).

Generally speaking, recreational double towing is not permitted in states along the west coast and in states along the east coast, but permitted in some form or another in most of the interior states. Note also that reciprocity doesn't apply here; while one's license is accepted anywhere for any vehicle it applies to, that doesn't magically make the operation of a vehicle that is not permitted at all to be legal for you to operate.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Have you thought about a Toy Hauler? I saw one at Newport Dunes a few years ago,pulled up,dropped ramp and unloaded boat and trailer using a winch,left and returned with truck and launched the boat.

Great fun to watch the launch ramp while having a bite at the Back Bay Bistro

There were a few old posts here on the Net about that but the pictures have all gone away. I think there are YouTube videos too.

You might ask over in the Toy Hauler sub forum,they are a pretty tight group and very helpful.

I was thinking the same thing. You could tow it with the vehicle you already have ! You could un-hook the vehicle to go see the sights ! And yet you could have a boat inside of the trailer.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Though I know your choice of boat would be somewhat limited. But, at least you would have a fishing boat along with you !

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for your insights and thoughts.

After much thought, we decided on a travel trailer (see sig). Wife prefers the comfort of a TT over the TH we recently had. To her, TH felt more industrial and not as homey. The TH was very also heavy (GVWR of 12K) and long (32').

I will be purchasing a Saturn inflatable boat (model FB365) and a 5hp outboard motor. I'll have to fabricate something to trailer it to/from (campsite to the launch ramp/waters edge)....typically less than one mile from campsites to water. Launch wheels and some sort of pintle/gudgeon at bow should work.

The raft set up is somewhat physically challenging with alum floor, but it will be used when we are at a site 3 days or more so it will only be set up/taken down once.

Thoughts?

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 Trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cabover camper is the only way to be happy as a fisherman with a boat. Speaking from experience.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could carry an aluminum boat on a rack over your pick up. I've seen this done, with right winch system, you can lower the boat right into the water. All of this right from your pick up.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My solution would be this---I don't need 2 bottomless pits to throw money in and I like to travel and explore more than fish. SO I have a DP and a Smart car toad which takes me all over the country. When I am home my 24ft Wellcraft goes fine behind the F-350 or the DP if I want to spend the night ashore or I can sleep in the boat. Just figure out what works best for you. My stuff is all old and paid for which makes it easier to throw money at LOL.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

re the boat. a 5hp motor will probably not get that boat on a plane if that is an issue. you will need a 10-20hp motor for that option. Hopefully it has an inflatable keel also. That will allow it to track better vs a non v'd bottom rig.
if you can get and haul a true rib design, heavier, but are in some ways better per say. What you are looking at design wise is a decent bang for the buck.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 friends that tow their 16’ boat with outboard and trailer ON TOP of their toad pickup. 2 ramps for the wheels: On one the wheels rested on the truck rails and the other used a narrow axle and the wheels rested on the truck bed. A third center rail extended the trailer tongue above the cab. Boat and trailer were lower than the MH height. An electric wench behind the bed extended up to a pulley on the center rail, forward to a pulley and back down to attach to the trailer. Easy to raise/lower the boat/trailer, stow the removable ramp sections, add a few tiedowns and away they would go. Consider the extra weight involved for your MH.

Or a avid fisherman could haul 2 boat/trailer combinations with his pickup!

OR

[image]

* This post was edited 11/16/21 11:04am by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.