RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this really depends on two or three things. How often do you go anywhere a toad may be needed? You could rent a car (deivered). How often do you use the boat (rent one)? Do you want that added maintenance of a motorhome? You will get an added 5-6' interior useable space with a trailer vs a motorhome (I have owned class A's, B's , TT's and 5th wheels). Do you want to launch a boat with your motorhome? I wouldn't, even if I had a front hitch.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck camper. Easy to set up for pulling a trailered boat. Popular on the East coast for driving out on the beaches.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is all about compromises. A raft or port-a-boat would work with either option. You could also look into renting a boat when you get to your destination instead of renting a car.

Toy hauler and putting the boat in the garage is a good idea. We live in a state where towing tandem is legal, so that is what we do. 32' 5er and a 17' Ranger. But that certainly isn't for everyone.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 21' Class B, Xplorer 230 XL. It is the tow vehicle for my 21' Starcraft boat, which weighs just under 2,000 lbs. I do not even feel the boat when towing. I have slept 3 in the B, but 2 is better. This would not work for you, but it does for me being single and retired.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the 16yr old reasonably tall and strong?

My dad used put a 16ft aluminum boat upside down on the roof of the van. It took a little hefting but with a little thought, you could set up a rack and winch it up on a pickup.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Porta-Bote is a good solution if you decide to go with a Travel Trailer. It folds down to about the thickness of a Stand Up Paddleboard (7" at its thickest spot). We have the 12' version that weighs about 90lbs (without the benches) that I can put on the roof rack of our Honda CRV by myself. The 12' version can handle a 9.8hp outboard. A lot of people also use trolling motors on the rear. Works great on lakes and calm rivers. People use the Porta-Bote on Lakes, Rivers and the Ocean with outboard motors. They are very stable and float even when completely filled with water. I could unfold the bote myself and have it ready for the water in less than 10 minutes. With a helper, it went even quicker.

When we first bought it, we carried it in our Motorhome. We put the bote in through the emergency exit window and laid it on the floor standing up. Our Class C was 32', so even with the bote in it, we could still move around and access the entire motorhome. Once we got the roof rack on the CRV, we carried the bote on the roof of the CRV.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this pic on FB this morning. It looks kind of top heavy to me, but what do I know?

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when I RV'd, we tried out MH, Class C, TT, etc. We found that we liked a truck and trailer combo best since it allowed us to separate the truck and see whatever we wanted, whether city streets, scenic day trips away from the CG, tourist attractions, side roads, etc.

I think some of that might apply to the OP's situation...but the OP is quite interested in fishing. I'd have to agree with Grit....the two most versatile choices are a truck camper towing a boat or a Class C towing a boat.

FWIW, Alaska doesn't have as many "real" boat launches as most of the SW / PNW, so I have limited data points, but I'd certainly recommend nothing bigger than a class C if you intend to use the MH to launch your boat. Aside from the general enjoyment of watching other people struggle at the boat launch, it's really entertaining to watch the 30' or larger Class A's try to launch at many of the popular spots here in the Los Anchorage general area....almost always good for my boat-launching ego. [emoticon]

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like the family also fishes ? I for years now have used an inflatable one man pontoon boat when I fish the lakes or want to float a river. Electric motor ,and battery . Up until this year I have just transported the boat taken apart ,and stowed in trailer or truck . This year I went to a little bigger boat ,still one man inflatable ,but decided I wanted a small light weight trailer to transport ,which I will tow behind my fifth wheel, but this trailer could easily be towed behind a travel trailer.

We spend a good portion of the summer in Montana, this trailer will enable me to transport the boat to fish much easier then in the back of the truck. It will always be loaded ,and ready to go.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an inflatable reinforced rubber raft when I retired and used it to fish across the US into Canada and up to Alaska. It was easy to set up, in 5 mins it was inflated, much easier to set up than a Zodiac with wood floors. I also have a 19 ft boat that I trailer but never felt comfortable backing it down a boat ramp with no backup camera. With an inflatable you are not limited to finding a boat ramp. Most places I fished had no ramp. However to answer your question directly if I was going to buy a MH to tow a boat I would get a 24 ft Class C with a backup camera. Some ramps are steep then flatten out some, make sure the hitch has enough GC so it does not scrape the ramp. Do you plan to tow the boat cross country or just local trips?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trailer or Motorhome...For a Boater/Fisherman-Which Rig?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.