RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Electrical problem with front stabilizers. Update.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electrical problem with front stabilizers. Update.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say you have 12V at the switch when it is open and 0V when it is closed. So closing the switch is shorting the circuit to ground. Since you can run a wire direct to the motor bypassing the switch without shorting to ground, I suspect that your switch is shorting to ground.

Can you remove the switch from it's mounting position and let it hang if free air? You could then operate the switch and see what happens.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for replying. I actually ran 12 volts directly from the battery to the positive terminal on the switch. If I do that the motors work fine, and the switch operates like it's supposed to. And it doesn't pull the voltage down on the battery, other than what you'd expect running the motor.

I suspect it is as CA Traveler suggested: a poor connection somewhere. Just finding it will be the issue I imagine.

I do have a wire tracer, so I will give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion, never even thought about it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming there is a circuit breaker in the path between the battery and switch as MFL pointed out above, your direct wire from battery to switch is bypassing that breaker. If I had to guess, I would say that the circuit breaker is tripping as soon as it senses a load. I would start by replacing that breaker. And definitely put a fuse or CB in your temporary circuit as pointed out because it's possible that there's a short somewhere in or after the switch that could be causing the existing breaker to trip.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice, much appreciated.

Having a relatively small amount of patience, I gave up trying to trace the problem. I checked to make sure everything that requires 12 V works like it's supposed to, and they do, including the starter for the generator. Even the rear stabilizers, awning, and slides. But no front stabilizers. So I decided I would use the circuit breaker 12 V post to run two wires to the motors. That way the circuit breaker is still inline, and used. I'll do some more searching when I get back from our trip...maybe. [emoticon]

The motors now work as they are supposed to and I checked the load, and they pull a touch over 3 amps when they are simply moving up and down with no load, and hit 10 amps when actually raising the trailer. I used about 10 feet of 12 gauge solid wire, since I had some left over from a project. I hope that will be large enough, and at 10 amps, I think it will be.

Thank all of you for the help. This is always a good source of good information.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I'd probably use 10ga wire you should be OK. My suggestion when you get home is to discharge the battery to 50% - make sure it's at 12.1V after sitting for several hours - then run the leverers for several cycles checking for performance.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I wondered about that, but that was why I went with 2 wires instead of just one and then split off to the other switch. 12 gauge should be good for 20-25 amps. and since I would be running both motors at the same time, I wanted each to be able to handle the load to one motor. Seems unlikely that one motor will get much over 15 amps, so I think I'm good to go. I'll be watching closely for heat too.

I really figured I'd be able to spot the poor connection, but just hasn't happened. Hopefully all will turn out well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electrical problem with front stabilizers. Update.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.