RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 1 month old TT totaled?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I screwed up my holiday.First TT and only 1 month old.  Was trying to pull my TT from storage to home and prepare for the long weekend. Since it's only a 10min local drive, as usual I didn't bother setting up the WD. When I made a left turn, after waiting for a through vehicle I noticed the light turned yellow so I tried to speed up while turning, and in the end the TT rolled over. Lesson learned...

The damages are all on the passenger side which landed on the curb, I noticed the following damage so far:
1: A 20 inch crack on the top left of the fiberglass side wall, it also comes with a dent into the inside shower area.
2: Power awning totally crashed, which actually protect most of the all and window glass from worse damages
3: Lots of scratches along the bottom edge, especially corners
4: power jack and propane case
5: two front stabilizer

The insurance company GEICO will do the inspection in a few days, but when I talked to the adjuster he mentioned to me that for rollover cases like this they usually handle it with total loss. I did purchase RV insurance, but when I asked them about the detailed policy, they were not sure what kind of coverage I really have for total loss. Seems to me they leave some flexibility for themself. One representative told me most likely I only did the regulator policy and won't  have the total loss replacement option.

My questions:1. Is it really that bad to total the RV, other than the body, should I expect some fundamental frame damage from this kind of accident?2. How much would it cost to seal the crack if I don't mind it doesn't look as nice3. If the insurance really totaled my TT, should I try to dispute and how?4. I kind of prefer they total it and I brought it back, after all the damage doesn't seem that bad to me, safety and function wise I guess. Also I assume the repair will take quite long and my whole summer will be screwed. So is it a good idea to buy it back?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything can be repaired....it's just a matter of what it might look like afterwards. If the damage did not break the framing, I might consider replacing the fiberglass with aluminum siding.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, glad you are OK and not hurt!

As jdc1 mentioned, tossing enough money at the problem most anything can be repaired.

The problem however it may cost more than the value of the trailer, not to mention there could be other hidden issues like bent frame, damaged or bent axle that may not be as obvious until you try to tow it.

While it is possible to repair the fiberglass with a boat cloth patch and resin it is not an easy or quick repair especially if you want the repair to 100% blend into the original fiberglass surface plus would require additional sanding, priming and painting.

It might be possible to send the trailer back to the factory and have them remove and replace the entire cracked wall which may be cheaper than paying a fiberglass body tech and then paint techs plus paint and materials.

I think you may be further ahead to let the insurance company decide whether to scrap or repair, after all they will be footing the bill either way.

As far as not having WD connected, that may have saved you from rolling your vehicle over also and I highly doubt that WD would have prevented the trailer from rolling.

Chalk it up to a newbe mistake, making tight turns under hard acceleration or high speeds as you have found out can cause high profile items like TT to tip over. This is especially worse if the hard turn is on a hill which puts the TT into a tilt.

I have a turn across traffic that I have to make coming down a 11% grade and the stop light and left turn is near the bottom of the hill.. I take that turn very slowly, I am sure there have been lots of folks behind me shouting unmentionable words. Even as a well seasoned towing veteran, that turn gives me the pucker factor every time.

Whenever you are towing, you have to be far more cautious and aware of this potential issue. You can't be in a hurry and the correct thing most likely would have been to have stopped as best as possible or just coasting through (provided no oncoming traffic coming towards you) instead of giving it gas and darting across.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lack of a WD caused the tip over? Yeah, stick to that story.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

protel wrote:

I screwed up my holiday.First TT and only 1 month old.  Was trying to pull my TT from storage to home and prepare for the long weekend. Since it's only a 10min local drive, as usual I didn't bother setting up the WD. When I made a left turn, after waiting for a through vehicle I noticed the light turned yellow so I tried to speed up while turning, and in the end the TT rolled over. Lesson learned...

The damages are all on the passenger side which landed on the curb, I noticed the following damage so far:
1: A 20 inch crack on the top left of the fiberglass side wall, it also comes with a dent into the inside shower area.
2: Power awning totally crashed, which actually protect most of the all and window glass from worse damages
3: Lots of scratches along the bottom edge, especially corners
4: power jack and propane case
5: two front stabilizer

The insurance company GEICO will do the inspection in a few days, but when I talked to the adjuster he mentioned to me that for rollover cases like this they usually handle it with total loss. I did purchase RV insurance, but when I asked them about the detailed policy, they were not sure what kind of coverage I really have for total loss. Seems to me they leave some flexibility for themself. One representative told me most likely I only did the regulator policy and won't  have the total loss replacement option.

My questions:1. Is it really that bad to total the RV, other than the body, should I expect some fundamental frame damage from this kind of accident?2. How much would it cost to seal the crack if I don't mind it doesn't look as nice3. If the insurance really totaled my TT, should I try to dispute and how?4. I kind of prefer they total it and I brought it back, after all the damage doesn't seem that bad to me, safety and function wise I guess. Also I assume the repair will take quite long and my whole summer will be screwed. So is it a good idea to buy it back?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Take the total amount of your total loss from your insurance setellment. Go buy a new trailer. I would not want use the trailer even after all of the repairs are done. Are there going to be problems later with all the repairs?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rough start but when towing slow down some and never ever do anything that is not thought out in advance. We have all had these moments some worse than others. Take insurance payout and buy a new trailer. It will salvage this season. Good luck.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, take the insurance check if indeed they total it.
I can only imagine all the hidden damage from the jarring impact.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago my daughter backed her car into my popup causing SIGNIFICANT damage. The insurance company (GEICO) did NOT total it. After repairs, which looked good, we had all sorts of unanticipated problems for years and years down the road. Trailers are surprising in terms of how they respond to various stresses and strains going down the road.

My advice - if they are willing to total it, accept it and move on. Get a new trailer. You'll never know what hidden problems you will have avoided, but know that they could be significant.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Lwiddis

Anza-Borrego Desert SP area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all screwup but you were unlucky too. Sorry. Glad you weren't hurt.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with speakeasy. Take the money and run and never look back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.