RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 1 month old TT totaled?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for the total, as said, unless you want a side job rebuilding your camper. But maybe read your policy. You do have a policy or detailed quote, declaration page, something, correct?

Glad it appears there was no injury to you or others, but I gotta ask...
What are you pulling it with that you can accelerate from zero to rubber side up basically within the confines of an intersection?

(Hope that made you laugh! and fwiw, you got a good size pair on ya to come online and share your major oopsie with the world! FWIW, we all have done some dumb things. Not enough bandwidth for me to list all mine....praying future ones don't include being able to rotate my trailer tires without a jack!)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good news that nobody was hurt

Insurance company owns the trailer.

NEVER EVER get in a hurry pulling a trailer. WD hardware probably wouldn't have mattered. Slow and easy is your friend. WRT to your specific example, you have a great big wall, and if you were over the stop line and technically in the intersection when the light turned, just take your time going around the corner. Cars will wait for you to complete the turn, and if someone gets impatient, screw em.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Push hard for them to total it, and be sure you get equivalent to the cost of an exact replacement in today's market.

Hopefully you have an RCE (replacement cost endorsement) on the policy.

If they insist on repairing it, request a diminished value settlement as well. If it's repaired, when the time comes to sell it you will never get anything CLOSE to the value of the same unit that's never been damaged. Unfortunately, if this be the case, you'll probably need an attorney to go to bat for you (especially with Geico -- I've had experience with them in the past).

Best of luck to you, but lastly, be sure you are 100% happy with your settlement before you sign any kind of release.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is there shouldn't be too much to the damage to the bottom frame and wheel? Plus TT doesn't have all these power chain like TV, so safty wise should I worry about too much?

Other than that I can live with scrtches and potential junk it in two years or three if the buy back price is <5k.

I'm kind of hesitate to get a new TT because weeks ago when I shop this TT, I found all the dealer near me are OOS for the models I was looking for, many of them taking deposit and ask you to wait till July even Oct... I ended up drove some 500mi out my state to get my TT.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The concept of diminished value is not recognized in all states.

I've been insured with GEICO for 10 years. Unfortunately had to call upon them last year when our Highlander was t boned in an intersection. Extensive damage from passenger side passenger door back to the rear quarter panel and right rear suspension. . Phenomenal repair by the body shop I chose and GEICO's service for the entirety of the claim was nothing short of superb.

My experience...... Nothing is known til the adjuster inspects the trailer OP. Let the claim run its course.

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

I've been insured with GEICO for 10 years. Unfortunately had to call upon them last year when our Highlander was t boned in an intersection. Extensive damage from passenger side passenger door back to the rear quarter panel and right rear suspension. . Phenomenal repair by the body shop I chose and GEICO's service for the entirety of the claim was nothing short of superb.

My experience...... Nothing is known til the adjuster inspects the trailer OP. Let the claim run its course.

Yeah, guess I'm trying to prepare my options to counter act the adjuster.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't have any idea of all the hidden structure damage in the walls and roof. Fixing it is like gluing a egg back together. Well you made the light.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the A-frame and hitch area, it may have twisted the frame at some point, before it came off the tow ball.
For the fiberglass (adzel?) they may price the repairs based on a complete wall replacement from the factory. Also check the squareness of opposite and end panels, there might have been enough impact that the seams have loosened up or done other damage. future leaks.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

I was in a business for a number of years where I dealt with numerous auto insurers. Glad you had a single good experience with Geico, but in dealing with most of the major carriers on a regular basis, I can tell you that your experience was the exception to the rule.

As far as diminished value is concerned, the concept does not have to be recognized by a particular state -- only by a judge in a court of law after a solid argument is presented by legal counsel (although I've personally never seen one have to go that far -- the insurance companies typically find it easier to settle than to battle it out in court, as they know what the outcome will be).

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

You don't have any idea of all the hidden structure damage in the walls and roof. Fixing it is like gluing a egg back together. Well you made the light.

x2.
I had a part time RV/mobilehome repair business back in the '60s/'70s. There are damages with sidewalls separating from the floor...at the corners and even roof to sidewalls that can't be seen just by looking.
Trouble comes on down the road after a few thousand miles as frame/structure issues just gets worse.
My advice is take the money or another unit offered as a replacement or a new one if offered.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.