|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NONE of the towing services own a single wrecker.

They hire contractors, and often the contractor works with several tow services. Mostly they are independent or small businesses.

Where and when are big factors.

I-95 on a holiday weekend, it will be a long wait because the actual tow trucks are busy, and as mentioned, they get to the higher paying jobs as a priority.

If you breakdown on I-10 in far west Texas, it is going to be a long time. I've seen a truck that had to drive over 150 miles one way to get to a service call.

But how the towing service deals with that on the phone is a factor. We've been happy with Good Sam Platinum the five or six times we've used them over the past 10+ years.

VERY IMPORTANT

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AAA has its own tow truck at facility on rt 55 in Durham. May have more than 1

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think AAA owns any trucks. They might contract with some providers who will put a AAA logo on the door. But I doubt AAA owns the truck.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why spend $75-$150 annually with AAA when you can get the same tow services with a $10-$20 towing rider on your Progressive, GEICO, USAA auto insurance policy?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They own the truck. Driver lived next door for awhile.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Mike: Never was stood up by Coach-net, but was denied service from GS years ago on RT. 95. Would not tow me off highway or advise even where I could get replacement tire. Stranded for entire week-end.

I dropped GS over 25 years ago when they left me stranded on the side on a busy road on a holiday weekend. I have had coachnet since then and have had to use them several times. Always very professional, frequent call backs to verify service and usually prompt roadside response... of course the response time is determined by where you are and proximity of a qualified service provider, but it's always been a reasonable duration before the service arrives.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had any problems with AAA. In fact the response has always been good and rapid but I have only had one call for the RV. At the time I was over 100 miles from the nearest town with service. Still the response was less than 2-3 hours including close to 2 hours of driving time.

I wonder if the OP tried to use standard AAA coverage in order to deal with a broken RV. I pay well over $100 per year for premier service to cover my RV. It covers towing up to 200 miles which is almost always going to be sufficient.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

I was stuck 3 days once. I finally got a flatbed and a family member to help. Family towed trailer.
In the past I was able to get aaa to send a flatbed and also tow the trailer.

Yes, they use contract tow companies, or whoever they can hire to do the job. aaa just calls the tow company and pays them, they do not have a tow company.
tow truck drivers make money towing, not dealing with your nightmare rig that will take them away from multiple tow jobs. They will turn down hard jobs.

Truck and camper will need two trucks, one to tow truck, one to tow camper, or need a big flatbed for the truck and to be able to tow the trailer behind it. Not every tow truck has a ball hitch. Sounds like your trailer is big, so would be too big to tow with a truck on the flatbed too.

If all you want is to get off the interstate and into the nearest parking lot then a small tow truck can do it (tow your truck with your trailer still attached) and the driver might do it, and maybe that area the police will not try to interfere. If you want towed 10 miles then a proper legal, safe setup is required.

These are considerations for RVers who put a lot of miles in. Break downs will happen. Getting towed is easier in small rigs. You all might eventually need a tow.

A medium or heavy duty wrecker can tow a truck and trailer as a unit. Been there and done that...about 60 miles, and VASTLY heavier than ANY RV combination!

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

OP, perfect example of why I will never buy any towing supplement.

I have towing on my RV and Tow rig. If I need service I would call a nearby company get the job done, pay them and receive reimbursement in a few days.

What do you mean by " I have towing on my RV and Tow rig " ???

I've never heard of anything except a towing supplement like AAA or Coach net

Just what I said. I have towing coverage on all vehicles boat motorcycle and RV thru mi insurance company. It’s cheap.

Ohhhh,,, so you pay for it through your insurance company. I didn't even know that was a option. I doubt it would make any difference in speed and service though. They are going to use the same tow truck drivers no matter who you pay.

BUT !!! it might be cheaper.

I will have to call my agent someday and ask about that. Thanks.

handsome51

Baytown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

I was stuck 3 days once. I finally got a flatbed and a family member to help. Family towed trailer.
In the past I was able to get aaa to send a flatbed and also tow the trailer.

Yes, they use contract tow companies, or whoever they can hire to do the job. aaa just calls the tow company and pays them, they do not have a tow company.
tow truck drivers make money towing, not dealing with your nightmare rig that will take them away from multiple tow jobs. They will turn down hard jobs.

Truck and camper will need two trucks, one to tow truck, one to tow camper, or need a big flatbed for the truck and to be able to tow the trailer behind it. Not every tow truck has a ball hitch. Sounds like your trailer is big, so would be too big to tow with a truck on the flatbed too.

If all you want is to get off the interstate and into the nearest parking lot then a small tow truck can do it (tow your truck with your trailer still attached) and the driver might do it, and maybe that area the police will not try to interfere. If you want towed 10 miles then a proper legal, safe setup is required.

These are considerations for RVers who put a lot of miles in. Break downs will happen. Getting towed is easier in small rigs. You all might eventually need a tow.

Truck and camper do not need two trucks. I have a 36ft 5th wheel and my transmission went out once on a trip. I was about 10 miles from the RV park I was going to. I have Good Sam Road Service. They sent a wrecker and he hooked on to my ford with the 5th wheel still attached . He towed me to my campground and I had a pull through site. He pulled me through my campsite. Stopped where the 5th wheel is suppose to be. I unhitched the 5th wheel from my truck and set it up for the wife. Then we went and dropped the truck off at the transmission place. Then he took me to the rent car place for me to rent a car till my truck was repaired. When we pulled into the campground, I felt like a celebrity . The way everyone from all over the park came over. They had never seen a wrecker pull the truck and 5th wheel all at once.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.