|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a CEL with downgraded power on Saluda grade. Told AAA I had a fifth wheel. They sent a tow truck. Called AAA back and said nothing they could do. Tow truck driver said he knew someone with a truck and fifth wheel hitch and he would come get it and things worked out.
Drove truck home and found out CEL was because fuel filter "zeroed out". Don't know how that happened as I ususally keep a constant check on fuel and filter mileage.
Watching my camper going down the road the other way was a strange feeling but guy taking my camper was luckily an honest guy.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had to have the tow vehicle and trailer towed twice. Both times we used AAA Plus RV. Both times we were out of our area. The first time we did have to wait a few hours because the only truck that could handle our combo - Astro Mini Van, 20' Hybrid TT and a family of 4, was a couple hours out. The second time, it was a Sunday and I waited about 1.5 hours. Both times, the tow was over 75 miles and didn't cost me a penny, except for a tip.

That being said, I have also had a problem with AAA in Georgia. Our motorhome had a blow out, the inner dual on the rear of the passenger side just south of exit 94 of I-95, heading south. I called AAA and they insisted on finding a company that could tow the motorhome incase it wasn't safe for the mobile tire guy to make the repair on the side of the road. The first person I spoke to told me she could only call 3 companies before handing it off to a supervisor. All 3 companies she called couldn't handle the tow (or didn't want to). Finally, after a few calls - I called them, they called me, after 2 hours I got a call from a mobile tire repair guy. He got to us about 2.5 hours after my first call and had no towing capabilities. He stated he got the call right before he called me. So it took AAA 2 hours to find someone that could do a mobile tire repair in Savannah, GA.

The reason I stick with AAA is because they will tow me where I want to go. Coach-net, Good-Sam, they will only tow to the nearest repair facility. They won't let me pay more to go where I want, only to the nearest repair facility. Plus the discount we get being a AAA member usually pays for membership.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck with 32ft trailer died at a stop light in rural SC years ago. Good Sam sent a baby tow truck that could do nothing. State trooper said he could get some one. Guy came with a big tow truck and a 3500 GMC with a hitch. Hooked up the truck and took it to the dealer and took the trailer with my race car inside to his lot where he handed me the keys and said bring it back when I got done racing. More to the story but I was thankful for a considerate tow truck owner.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had good luck with AAA Plus RV. Shackle broke last summer just east of Wallace ID. They sent a guy from Coeur d Alene ID, it took him a while to get there. At first they were going to tow me to Camping world in Spokane WA. But I found out that Les Schwab in Kellogg ID could fix it. The guy came with a hitch for my 5th wheel on the back of the flat bed tow truck. Hooked up, lowered the front end and drove slowly to where we needed to go. Have also used AAA for other tows, no issues, other than takes a while to get to you. Not sure if that is because of what they are paid by AAA or something else, but always have good service both on the phone and with the person that shows up. In ID, the AAA person called me back like 3 or 4 times to make sure we were OK where we were stuck.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

We had to have the tow vehicle and trailer towed twice. Both times we used AAA Plus RV. Both times we were out of our area. The first time we did have to wait a few hours because the only truck that could handle our combo - Astro Mini Van, 20' Hybrid TT and a family of 4, was a couple hours out. The second time, it was a Sunday and I waited about 1.5 hours. Both times, the tow was over 75 miles and didn't cost me a penny, except for a tip.

That being said, I have also had a problem with AAA in Georgia. Our motorhome had a blow out, the inner dual on the rear of the passenger side just south of exit 94 of I-95, heading south. I called AAA and they insisted on finding a company that could tow the motorhome incase it wasn't safe for the mobile tire guy to make the repair on the side of the road. The first person I spoke to told me she could only call 3 companies before handing it off to a supervisor. All 3 companies she called couldn't handle the tow (or didn't want to). Finally, after a few calls - I called them, they called me, after 2 hours I got a call from a mobile tire repair guy. He got to us about 2.5 hours after my first call and had no towing capabilities. He stated he got the call right before he called me. So it took AAA 2 hours to find someone that could do a mobile tire repair in Savannah, GA.

The reason I stick with AAA is because they will tow me where I want to go. Coach-net, Good-Sam, they will only tow to the nearest repair facility. They won't let me pay more to go where I want, only to the nearest repair facility. Plus the discount we get being a AAA member usually pays for membership.

-Michael

With Good Sam Platinum Plus Plan you have the choice of repair shops and the option to have it towed over 100 miles, just pay the extra tow service over the first 100 miles.

Check out their different plans online.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give "Cummins12v98" credit for the real world - but with a couple of "caveats"!!

Towing via your insurance company: Read *ALL* the fine print, and know how much $$ they will reimburse, distance allowed for the tow, etc.

Along with "pay the man" - A CC (credit card) or Benjamins (serious bucks-with Ben Franklin's pic) will usually get GREAT service!!

All the "Motor Clubs" AAA, CN, GS, etc. contract with tow operators all over the country.
Often tow operators have multiple "Motor Club" contracts.

The service the tow operators render is dependent on two things:
1. How busy they are at the time you call - more lucrative "recurring" contracts - ex: with the PD, Highway Patrol, State Troopers, etc. - will get priority over you!!

2. How well the Motor Club reimburses the tow operator! Both for the tow (how much) *AND* how promptly *they* are paid when they submit their invoice/s.

Besides using a CC and/or Benjamins - #2 above may or may not influence the service you receive!

Join a Tow Operator forum(s) and read the posts regarding #2 !!
Interesting info "exchanges" about Motor Clubs.

BTW: Back to #2 again. IMO (my choice) is none of the Motor Clubs mentioned in/on the thread! Check out US Rider! When you are towing live animals (horses) - response time is VERY, very important!

No you don't have to own -or be transporting- hay burners to have the service - and folks towing horse trailers usually have MDTs and heavy 5th wheel trailers, often for multiple horses w/ full living quarters - requiring *serious* towing equipment.

Fortunately, I have never needed to use the service - but I *have* exchanged both e-mail, US mail, and phone calls with the Director to discuss the service. Can you say that about your ERS?...[emoticon]

Roll on!

~

* This post was edited 06/02/21 08:32pm by ol Bombero-JC *

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happened to me once. My insurance was supposed to pay part of the bill and assist me with getting the tow company on site. When I said I only have cash they said they cannot help w/o a credit card. They had no way to get their cut of the money is what it really was. When calling Tow companies myself, not relying on the help from insurance, I said I only have cash.... man they were there in 5 mins. Best tow membership is carry cash IMHO.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you find a tow driver to tow a truck with trailer attached then u lucked out. Most will not even try, or most will say "insurance something so I can't".

A 5th wheeler is a different legal animal. In most States you can tow a 5th and attach a trailer to the 5th wheeler trailer, but if talking 5th wheelers then usually talking very big trailers to begin with.

Usually you will need trailer towed behind the flatbed or by another vehicle entirely. Don't count on the driver pulling your rig with a little tow truck.

The ability of the tow truck is not nearly important as what the driver is willing to do. Yes, a diesel can pull your rig easy, but no, the driver will probably not do both truck n trailer.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

IF you find a tow driver to tow a truck with trailer attached then u lucked out. Most will not even try, or most will say "insurance something so I can't".

A 5th wheeler is a different legal animal. In most States you can tow a 5th and attach a trailer to the 5th wheeler trailer, but if talking 5th wheelers then usually talking very big trailers to begin with.

Usually you will need trailer towed behind the flatbed or by another vehicle entirely. Don't count on the driver pulling your rig with a little tow truck.

The ability of the tow truck is not nearly important as what the driver is willing to do. Yes, a diesel can pull your rig easy, but no, the driver will probably not do both truck n trailer.

If you have a 5TH wheel, any heavy-duty wrecker and most medium-duties can tow the truck and trailer as a unit. I have seen it done many times. I personally rode in a wrecker that was towing a semi tractor hooked to a loaded 48' trailer, for about 65 miles. (Lost the water pump at 2am.)

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

You make an important point. When I needed a tow with my 5th wheel I made sure they knew I had a 5th wheel. I thought I needed to put it on a flatbed to get it to the shop. With the shackles broken I did not think it could be towed from the King Pin. The guy that came was very nice, he told me they will always find a way to tow it because they can't put it up on a flat bed. He had a hitch on the back of his flat bed and could lower or raise the front to allow it to ride on the 2 good wheels. It was different, and he had to go very slow which was a little treacherous on the freeway, but he got off as soon as he could. I only wonder if I would have changed tires that summer (before the shackles broke) if they would have noticed they were worn, or failing. Not sure if that is even a think to look for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.