|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Stuck Camper Jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The times I've had a stuck jack was because the camper was not going up or down evenly. All four motors seem to run at different speeds I presume due to wire length and I/R loss. The more uneven or tilted the camper becomes, the more tensive rubbing force applied between inner and outer jack tube. Look at the tilt of the camper and try to raise or lower a different jack to level out and relieve rubbing pressure.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there was a way to take them off the camper, I'd do what I did with an Atwood that got stuck on me.

I took it off and then drilled a hole in the center of the bottom of the foot and flipped the whole thing upside down and filled it with ATF, plugged the hole and then flipped it back up right to sit.

Once I finally got it broken free with the crank handle after much sitting and fiddling, I emptied the atf and put in a liberal amount of diff oil in it and released it and left it in there.

The jack never worked perfectly again, it still had some issues with the drive mechanism if too much load was put on it (if the jack got ahead of the other it would start to slip/bind until the other jack caught up), but it worked well enough to keep using till I got ahold of a replacement unit and now that one is just a parts jack.

Atwoods unfortunately weren't designed to come apart so I couldn't do a proper disassembly and wire wheel cleaning and bearing replacement and then coating all of the threads in moly.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. That’s not very encouraging that it never worked right again. I’m sorry to hear that.

I will see if they move today after some atf soaking overnight. Otherwise, based on your post, I might be in for 4 new jacks.

JoeChiOhki wrote:

If there was a way to take them off the camper, I'd do what I did with an Atwood that got stuck on me.

I took it off and then drilled a hole in the center of the bottom of the foot and flipped the whole thing upside down and filled it with ATF, plugged the hole and then flipped it back up right to sit.

Once I finally got it broken free with the crank handle after much sitting and fiddling, I emptied the atf and put in a liberal amount of diff oil in it and released it and left it in there.

The jack never worked perfectly again, it still had some issues with the drive mechanism if too much load was put on it (if the jack got ahead of the other it would start to slip/bind until the other jack caught up), but it worked well enough to keep using till I got ahold of a replacement unit and now that one is just a parts jack.

Atwoods unfortunately weren't designed to come apart so I couldn't do a proper disassembly and wire wheel cleaning and bearing replacement and then coating all of the threads in moly.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ATF worked on one of them!

That’s enough. I have 2 fronts and a back working. Enough to load it up and fix elsewhere after we leave.

Good idea!!! Thank you!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

ATF worked on one of them!

That’s enough. I have 2 fronts and a back working. Enough to load it up and fix elsewhere after we leave.

Good idea!!! Thank you!

Cringing here at the thought...lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Stuck Camper Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.