|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking up Fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, you have to support/raise the frame if you're unhooking the suspension. But you also have to jack the wheels up to support them so you can remove the bolts.

Obviously you can't jack up just the wheels, or just the frame. It takes a combination of both to do suspension work.

What I did what the OP is doing , I jacked a wheel up as said , then removed the wheel, placed some stands I made out of 6x6 steel tubing , lowered the the fifth wheel on to that, repeated until I was sitting on all four steel stands . Axles were hanging free to do whatever I needed to do, was not a hard job at all installing the wet bolts ,and axle braces at all three points.

Obviously not everyone has access to that kind of tubing, but there are quality jack stands or like many do use wood.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned many non rv trailers in commercial service and doing most of my own R&R/maintenance on their suspensions I kept 3' long cut up RR ties for cribbing under the frame in 4 places. I turned them at angles to eliminate them rolling over. I also used the front landing jacks to stabilize and take most of the weight up front.
I raised the frame till the tires cleared.

Depending on what type of suspension work was to be done I left the tires on or removed them. They can be handy to roll a axle out and back under the trailer.

With the axle hanging I then used a couple of hyd floor jacks under the axle for releasing pressure on the equalizer bar and shackle pins/bolts.

Several ways of doing trailer suspension work....much depends on what tools one has and experience of doing this type of work.

I never worked under a trailer that sat on just jack stands ....thats just me. Others may be comfortable with doing it.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the axle directly under the spring perch is okay. If you're concerned, use a jack on each axle to share the load. If you have 6-point levelers, you can usually get one side off the ground using the manual function. Yes, I know Lippert says no, but many of us do. It's advisable to use a couple of jackstands under the frame no matter what method you use.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

At today's prices those 38, 1 foot pieces of 2×4 used in that one cribbing tower will set you back about $48.97 lol.

The TrailerAid Plus is around $50.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

corv65MK

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot of good info and will be starting in the next week.Pics and update when done.
Thank you to all that contributed there help

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to use the truck to do the work and pull my 5er onto blocks, about 4" tall, put jack stands under the trailer and use a floor jack under the axle plates to remove the blocks... one wheel at a time. The tires were off the ground in ~8 minutes.
Since then I scored some 6 x 12 pneumatic cylinders out of a scrap pile and I literally blow the 5er up in 2 minutes. Craig
[image]

Esacnj

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned Sunline travel trailers and Jayco 5th wheel. Both manufacturers say jack to the frame with jack close to the leaf spring hanger.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've yet to see any builder say to jack on the axle. Simple CYA, if you told people it was okay, you'd have people jacking their trailer in the middle of the axle, and bending it. And then complain that that was what they were supposed to do.

Print your rules for the simple common denominator.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking up Fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.