|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plug or unplug that is the question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never unhook the 7 pin weather I am hooked up to shore power or not. the solar charger is always going and I have no conection between the battery in the camper and the 7 pin so no need.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always unplug, if just for an overnite. I also drop the stabilizers. Don't know or care what could go wrong,just know that it can't if there is no connection.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I can't think of any risk in disconnecting, except for maybe forgetting to reconnect when you leave, but you'll figure that out pretty quickly when you check your mirrors and don't see your running lights on." X2.
I also lay the 7way connector on the bed rail where it can be seen in the rear view mirror. But if you check your trailer brakes and lights it is unlikely you would forget to connect the 7way.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never realized trailers had to be disconnected and I certainly don't understand why. I have a truck camper. The 7 way is always connected to my truck.

beergardens

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The charge wire from my truck is always hot, so yes, I unplug. If that circuit drew power through a relay, as many newer trucks do, I’d probably leave it plugged in. I’m not worried about forgetting to plug it back in before driving away, as I’ve made it part of the routine to put the flashers on and do a quick check of the rear of the trailer to check or light, each morning before driving away.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jframpey wrote:

I disconnect- Chevrolet stays hot with ignition switch off (at least 2008 Silverado). Why take a chance of draining my vehicle battery? What if the converter quits, power outage, surge?

If you’re going by risk, there’s a greater chance a pin will break off in the 7-way connector when you go to plug it in than a power issue affecting your truck. Even if the shore power failed, you’d have to run enough 12v loads to drain your trailer and truck batteries.

In our case it’s a truck camper and there is no option to unplug until it’s partially lifted up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plug or unplug that is the question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.