|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Do you run house AC while on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

INSULATION, INSULATION, INSULATION.

Place your hand on the outside of a quality range when it temperature is 400-500 F...

Place your hand on the outside of a quality freezer when its temperature is zero.

Pay up front for insulation or pay later in fuel cost.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As most of have said, do what makes you feel comfortable. I like to exercise the generator and running the A/Cs (or heat strips) while on the road works perfectly for that purpose.

One other thing about running the generator is that our refrigerator stays powered the entire time we're travelling. We replaced our Electric/Propane model with a conventional refer a couple years back when the system started leaking. What I SAVED with that swap will pay me to run the generator on the road for decades!!!! [emoticon] Plus, with the generator running, every outlet in the coach has 120VAC power so the kids can plug their computers/games/whatever where ever they please.

Again, it's all about comfort & convenience. We're on vacation. When I put $125 (or more, now!) worth of gas filling the RV tank, I have never thought "Gee...if I only didn't run the generator, I'd be saving $5." LOL

Enjoy the ride & be safe!

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

DC&MC

formerly of Keizer Oregon USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we are driving while it’s hot we get up and go really early. Even running the roof air doesn’t get forward enough to help the driver much. We also put a large fan in the hallway blowing forward to help the AC get forward

2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2011 Ram PU
2012 Victory Cross Country mtc
From wherever we happen to be

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Memorial Day weekend I traveled from north Florida to central Florida and back during the heat of the day, 90 plus. Just me and the wife, we only used dash air and were quite comfortable sitting up front. It got warm in the back but we never felt it up front. If had passengers the roof a/c's would have been on

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Larrysr1957

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes we run the generator so the passengers can see television and the a/c’s are running.

Jframpey

Charlotte

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of these rigs have big inverters, battery banks and solar... does anyone try to use an inverter to power the AC - and pull power from an alternator? And solar?

I guess anything is possible, but practical? Each AC would be 1500 watts - 15 amps running. That doesn’t seem like a big load to add to an alternator.

I’m not worried about fuel use, just hrs of generator use.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jframpey wrote:

Some of these rigs have big inverters, battery banks and solar... does anyone try to use an inverter to power the AC - and pull power from an alternator? And solar?

I guess anything is possible, but practical? Each AC would be 1500 watts - 15 amps running. That doesn’t seem like a big load to add to an alternator.

I think Mr. Mark once said he had his Prevost built with a massive Li Ion battery bank large enough to run his AC. Like 24 batteries or something. If I recall the cost was about $10k for the batteries.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jframpey wrote:

That's 15A (or a bit less) at 120V; the load on the alternator would be closer to 150A (assuming a 12V system; half that if you happen to have a 24V system). It's definitely a big load to add to most alternators. That being said, it might be practical on some rigs, at least for a single roof air conditioner. (You'd have to make sure the battery combiner/isolator circuitry and wiring is up to the job, besides just the alternator itself).

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1 AC unit will pull 9 amps when running, startup it pulls 20 amps. a soft start kit would alleviate that issue, but running AC off of an inverter and batteries would require at least $15k in equipment. the thought is great, but Ill just run the generator!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live just south of you across the state line. The answer is yes! We have to run it to keep our 35ft class A cool. The window asks like a huge oven and the front A/C never stands a chance, even with a curtain placed just behind the front seats.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Do you run house AC while on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.