|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> ISB Sola regulators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I just checked. Buck is only 10%

1st boost is 10% (110 to 121)

2nd boost is ~20% (100 to 121)

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The 30A male to 50A female connector does connect both 50A hots together and that's OK since the maximum amps is 30A.

A 120V 66A connection means that the neutral can carry 66A and the RV wiring is only rated for 50A. ie For a 120/240V 50A circuit the neutral wire maximum amps is the difference of the 2 hot wires and hence a maximum of 50A. This is why all 3 wires are the same size and rated for 50A.

I suggest you remove the 8000 unit from the chart and/or make it very clear that this unit is not compatible with a 50A RV.

Are you sure? It seems to me if you butchered a 50 amp extension and bridged the black and red wires using a murette and a suffiently low guage wire to the unit, in and out, it should handle 50 amps OK. If it it can handle 60 amps as it says in the documentation, the factor should be the guage of the wire. I am assuming the 2 hots of the 50 amp cord are the same phase and only diference between the 50 and 30 amp is the total sum of guages of the wires.

It woudl be nice to see inside an 8000 and see what the diference with a 4000. Terminal size, etc?

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I just checked. Buck is only 10%

1st boost is 10% (110 to 121)

2nd boost is ~20% (100 to 121)

here is the chart for the ISB, both models. The reason for all of this is we have caravan customers wanting these. Some have 50 amp service and are asking about the 8000. Since 50 amp service in mexico is as rare as hens teeth, I personally think its overkill, but i have people wanting to wire them permanent in their rigs. If they are not really compatible with 50 Amp RV wiring then they are really degrading their service. Plus I wonder if they are installing a potential fire hazard. I don't think I would install one without a circuit breaker on the input. IMO it is better to just butcher a 30 amp extension, stick the 4000 in a milk crate and use it when you need to. I just push mine under the rig to keep it dry.

[image]

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they add a 50A CB to the input then they will be OK provided nothing in the RV limits the power. My rig and others have load shedding which would not detect 240V and load shed to the default 30A. This cannot be changed w/o rewiring. In Mexico without a 50A CB on the SOTA and if they are drawing 8000 va which is 67A then the neutral from their 50A power plug to the CB panel is overloaded by 17A.

A hardwired unit would have to be removed upon returning to the US because the shorted hots will blow the 120/240V 50A CB.

Many years ago I concluded that the least understood topic on any RV forum was electrical and the least understood electrical item is 120/240V 50A power. Just shows how little is known about home power which is the very same circuit except the CB panel will have a 200A rating for example.

You're giving them good advice IMHO but they don't understand how different a 120/240V circuit is from a 120V circuit.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

If they add a 50A CB to the input then they will be OK provided nothing in the RV limits the power. My rig and others have load shedding which would not detect 240V and load shed to the default 30A. This cannot be changed w/o rewiring. In Mexico without a 50A CB on the SOTA and if they are drawing 8000 va which is 67A then the neutral from their 50A power plug to the CB panel is overloaded by 17A.

A hardwired unit would have to be removed upon returning to the US because the shorted hots will blow the 120/240V 50A CB.

Many years ago I concluded that the least understood topic on any RV forum was electrical and the least understood electrical item is 120/240V 50A power. Just shows how little is known about home power which is the very same circuit except the CB panel will have a 200A rating for example.

You're giving them good advice IMHO but they don't understand how different a 120/240V circuit is from a 120V circuit.

Thanks for that info. I am not so sure the shorted hots would trip the CB since a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone shorts them anyway. I have used one in a park that only had a 50 amp socket to plug my 30 amp rig into. Tres Amigos in mazatlan which only has 50 & 15 amp on some pedestals. Whether it is really 50 amp is debabatable. I have only seen 50 amp in 2 other parks in Mexico. Telaquepaque in Lo de Marcos and Arturos park in Cuitzeo

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 50(male)/30 adapter connects one 50A hot to the 30A hot. The other 50A hot is not used. The RV is limited to 30A by it's 30A CB.

The 30/50 adapter connects connects the 30A hot to both 50A hots. This is a connection that does not trip the pedestal CB so it's not a short in that sense. It provides 120V everwhere in the RV with a total draw limit of 30A.

What happens with a 120V sola device is dependent on how and where it's installed. Hardwiring inside a 50A RV has potential issues when it's later plugged into a 120/240V 50A plug. The devil is in the details.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The 50(male)/30 adapter connects one 50A hot to the 30A hot.

The 30/50 adapter connects connects the 30A hot to both 50A hots. This is a connection that does not trip the pedestal CB so it's not a short in that sense.

What happens with a 120V sola device is dependent on how and where it's installed. Hardwiring inside a 50A RV has potential issues when it's later plugged into a 120/240V 50A plug. The devil is in the details.

I would like someone to check it with a meter. The wiring diagram i see on net, shows the hots as bridged. I may have one out in my Rv, I will go check it with an ohmneter. You may be correct.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK just checked it out, you are correct. So unless the 8000 handles 2 hots separately there is no advantage in buying the 8000/ Learned something.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila,

Are you saying the shore power source is not fused or has no circuit breaker? I can't see how adding an additional breaker--if there already is one would help.

Thanks for posting the chart--it is where I did the math from for the buck and boost percentages. So it is buck of -10% (135 volts), boost of +10% (110 volts) and additional boost of +20% (100 volts).

The buck is a calculation only. The boosts were checked by actual measurements, but under no load.

BTW the lowest voltage I've measured was 99 under no load and 97 under load from air conditioner. The Sola basic allow me to cool down my RV safely.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Tequila mentioned 50 amp services is rare. Even then it may not be a real 50 amp service or the wiring is not very heavy. I would never hard wire that devic device. Risk of fire. Even th Hughes autoformer is risky. Some campgrounds do not allow that device. Connecting a modern motorhome in Mexico is always risky. Lots of electronics that are voltage sensitive. John and Angela are no longer active in this forum. He was travelling with a 30 amp smaller Class c. When the voltage was low he had a smart charger that would run on low voltage. I think it was 90 volts. He would plug that into the shorhe power. No worries.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> ISB Sola regulators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.