|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bad Xantrex or bad batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week I got some help from you guys when I had an issue while trying to see how long my residential fridge would run on the two 6 volt golf cart batteries I had put in last fall. When I checked on it after 4-5 hours, I was getting an E05 code. After getting some help on how to reset it, normal readings came back.
Today I was going t try it again. I unplugged from shore power and by the time I got into the 5th wheel, it was showing an E02 code that would blink on, then show the voltage which was showing sporadic readings or 12.6, 11.8,10.1. WHen I prest the batterie indicator button on the control panel, it fluctuated from a full four-light down to one light.
I was also hearing noises from the fridge. I quickly plugged back into shore power and when I came back in, the Xantrex display was reading 14.4.
Does this sound like the Xantrex is bad, or the batteries may be bad?

I have a Xantrex XM 1000

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds more like a loose/bad connection making intermittent contact. Easy enough to check the batteries with a voltmeter and close inspection.

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the xantrrex is working. Take the batteries out and have them tested. You need to do a load test and not just check them with a volt meter.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Yaesu FTDX101D, Ameritron AL-80 Amp, Icom 7100, Yaesu FT-991A
Steve and Joy
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my earlier post, some commented the Xantrex 1000 might be too small. After thinking about it, I know it worked for a few hours last October. When we got ot our campsite, they had put us in a 30 amp, so I had to run around town looking for an adaptor. When none was to be found, I bought a gas can and put gas in the onboard tank so I could use the generator to give the batteries a good charge when needed. The batteries seemed to make it through the night.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

In my earlier post, some commented the Xantrex 1000 might be too small. After thinking about it, I know it worked for a few hours last October. When we got ot our campsite, they had put us in a 30 amp, so I had to run around town looking for an adaptor. When none was to be found, I bought a gas can and put gas in the onboard tank so I could use the generator to give the batteries a good charge when needed. The batteries seemed to make it through the night.

AS I stated earlier, a 1000 watt Inverter has more than twice the power to run a residential refer. BATTERIES and Capacity of Batteries is your limiting factor. You could have a 2500 watt Inverter and you would still have the same problem. Doug

FYI, most class A Oems will state no more than 24 hours running a residential refer with just 2 deep cycle batteries. You CAN run longer, but they state 24 hours.

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

mrad wrote:

AS I stated earlier, a 1000 watt Inverter has more than twice the power to run a residential refer. BATTERIES and Capacity of Batteries is your limiting factor. You could have a 2500 watt Inverter and you would still have the same problem. Doug

FYI, most class A Oems will state no more than 24 hours running a residential refer with just 2 deep cycle batteries. You CAN run longer, but they state 24 hours.

That's good to know I would only need 8-10 hours of run time with my two golf cart batteries. I would like to add another pair, but I don't think I have the room

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Residential fridge draws likely 200-300 watts running

About 5 times that (or more) starting

a pair of 6V batteies holds about 120 amp hours or 1200 watts of usable energery
So 4-6 horus is more than you can expect because at that high a draw the capacity of the batteries goes DOWN and of course there are other loads as well.

So I'd guess 2-3 hours for a single 6Vpair and that's pushing it.

Double the batteries and you get a bit more than double the run time
A HIGH effiency (What I call Danfoss class) fridge, Both Dometic and norcold make 'em Draws about 40-50 watts.. Think about that.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, the residential refer does NOT--NOT run all the time. Once it reaches temp it shuts down. And it reaches and holds temp faster and better than a RV refer Doug

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm....now I am questioning my decision to go with the golfcart batteries. Last fall before we picked up the coach I had asked on this forum if the golfcart batteries would be a better fit than two group 27 RV/Deepcycles. I thought th consensus was to go with the golfcart batteries

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

Hmmmm....now I am questioning my decision to go with the golfcart batteries. Last fall before we picked up the coach I had asked on this forum if the golfcart batteries would be a better fit than two group 27 RV/Deepcycles. I thought th consensus was to go with the golfcart batteries

Golf cart/6 VDC batteries wired in series ARE the lest expensive way to get deep cycle batteries.

But, amp-hrs @12 VDC is what you're interested in.

If you want to evaluate your decision (kind of late), compare amp-hrs @ 12 VDC. And difficult to find real group 27 deep cycle batteries. Most are deep cycle/start batteries.

Another comparison is battery weight-- a good indicator of capacity/longevity.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bad Xantrex or bad batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.