RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Generators!! Yes YOU!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egarant wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

There's a simple solution...go out and buy 10's of thousands of acres of range land. Build a road into the center of it and post no trespassing signs. Then you can set whatever rules you want for appropriate camping activities.

As long as it's public land and they are following the rules (official rules, not the ones you make up in your head), they have as much right to use the land as you do.

You probably are seeing a new crowd. If there is cell coverage, they may be out camping and working at the same time. Did you go over and talk to them...get to know them? Or did you sit their stewing over the newbies who don't know how to camp the right way?

So it is my job to educate the noisy neighbors…like you said ti is a new crowd and most don’t like to be told anything different. Most of the time you would be told to F off.

Go. ahead and HIDE behind the “rules say I can” so I will!
It’s the lack of common sense or common courtesy that we are talking about. Just because you can do you HAVE to?

I never suggested you had to teach them anything. You made that presumption.

I asked if you talked to them or got to know them.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I asked if you talked to them or got to know them.
I don't think you can win on this board no matter what you do. Even after mentioning I talked to the owner about his running one all night I was called a 'special kind of arse.' Look it up.. it's still there.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never camped on BLM lands; however, I thought the point of camping on those lands is to live off the grid and away (far, far away) from other campers. The poor guy who has found such a Utopia and already set up camp far away from other people should not be bothered by campers who are determined to camp so close that they should be in an RV park. Ask Matthew McConnahey (spelling) while taking a break in his Air Stream after finishing a movie; he said he just walks around his camp in the desert naked just to scare other campers away from setting up camp near him. He said it works!! Other campers think he's crazy, nothing but a beard and his birthday suit.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I'm glamping and it's 90+ degrees outside and I don't have shore power of some type, you bet your sweet bippie I'm running my generator! If anyone doesn't like the sound of it, they can drown it out by turning their up their TV volume --- oh, wait . . . no generator = no TV. Oh well, guess they'll just have to sing (as they sweat profusely).

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

If I'm glamping and it's 90+ degrees outside and I don't have shore power of some type, you bet your sweet bippie I'm running my generator! If anyone doesn't like the sound of it, they can drown it out by turning their up their TV volume --- oh, wait . . . no generator = no TV. Oh well, guess they'll just have to sing (as they sweat profusely).

No generator = no TV? In what world?

Oh, and I'll just run my AC on solar and stay off on my own, away from you. The way it should be on BLM/USFS lands, anyway.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

If I'm glamping and it's 90+ degrees outside and I don't have shore power of some type, you bet your sweet bippie I'm running my generator!
I have been dry camping for years, and I rarely if ever see anyone running a generator for air. Takes a lot of gas. They usually just leave during the day.

The most usage I hear is making dinner and watching TV.

* This post was edited 06/01/21 02:11pm by 2oldman *

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Oh, and I'll just run my AC on solar and stay off on my own, away from you. The way it should be on BLM/USFS lands, anyway.

We don't spend any time on BLM/USFS lands anyway, so I can't really speak for that experience specifically. I guess a lot of you guys have solar, and that's great. I don't. I've got an Onan 5500 quiet diesel generator (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the name of it), so unless prohibited for some crazy reason, I'm runnin' it! Happy travels!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I frankly don't care if my generator offends someone. I'll camp the way I want and you camp the way you want. I'll do my best to park far away from you. Doesn't sound very nice but that's the way it is. Out in the boonies there are no rules.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jshupe wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

We don't spend any time on BLM/USFS lands anyway, so I can't really speak for that experience specifically. I guess a lot of you guys have solar, and that's great. I don't. I've got an Onan 5500 quiet diesel generator (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the name of it), so unless prohibited for some crazy reason, I'm runnin' it! Happy travels!

Now that solar is available and capable. Running a genset all day for TV is considered rude. There was a time genset use was acceptable to a degree but solar has changed that standard. For the cost of a diesel Onan 5500 you can buy a solar set up that will run A/C for quite a few hours if there is sunshine available.
I Have a 5500 Onan in my 2012 RV. If I were buying today I would skip the Onan and have solar that would be equally capable (almost!)

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I've got an Onan 5500 quiet diesel generator (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the name of it), so unless prohibited for some crazy reason, I'm runnin' it! Happy travels!
An inverter is much quieter for watching TV. Trust me, you'll never go back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.