RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Generators!! Yes YOU!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes me? I have 900W of solar and 1200AH of batteries but prefer to park in the shade so I do not have to run the generator all day for AC...shade defeats the $$ spent on solar. Anytime I’m going to use something that takes a lot of energy, I’m cranking the generator, it will charge the batteries instead of depleting them. Sorry if my hour of generator usage bothers you... here’s an inexpensive solution.

[image]

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar is simple: Panels are the wall socket, solar controller is just a fancy battery charger and the batteries are batteries. Not hard to learn how to fit the pieces together. Then just slap on a couple of leads / wires from the batteries to an inverter and you have 110v.

That said we only use the gen on cloudy days to top of batteries as we do have solar (was a lifestyle choice as most never recover the investment), overnight at a noisy location (not often but it happens, rest area, Wallyworld & etc) and if a heat wave comes in and turns our comfortable RV into an oven. I don't care for the smoke from the campfires many seem to be drawn to when they camp so I shut the windows, start the gen or move on down the road. Too many places to visit / stay to be overly concerned about a camping neighbor who has different values and rightly so even if I don't like it. Just move on down the road!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

* This post was edited 06/01/21 08:43pm by rocmoc *

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Honda generator.

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, I love my Yamaha generator. [emoticon]

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar may work well. Funny how most proponents in this thread list location as AZ, NM, CA, or the south. Give it a try in the Northeast, say in the deciduous forests of the Appalachins. Good luck.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was boondocking in FLA at a WMA area. I go to sleep early but my first night there a guy was running a noisy genny after the 8pm genny shut off limit. I went and knocked on his door and politely asked how long he was going to run it. He said 10pm. I told him about the 8pm shut off limit and he was surprised as he had not read the rules. He was nice and shortly turned it off.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to not use solar cells due to all the pollution that is created when the life of the solar cell is reached and attempts are made to dispose of the cells, only to find that there is nothing recyclable and the construction material is found to be polluting and toxic. But that's just my opinion FWIW

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read more than a few forums for multiple subjects.

Here in RV land, the large complaint is noise and that is common to several other areas as well.

This has lead me to an understanding that there are a great number of people in these places that just don't know very much. This shows.

I have taken the time on several occasions to talk to those that are the cause of the situation and some times it is productive. I have even been thanked for speaking to them. This is less common than those that seem to be of the opinion that they bought "Whatever" and if I don't like their noise/smoke/music/wake that is not an issue to them.

It is truly unfortunate that these people do exist. Then, there I have witnessed so karma that causes me to chuckle.

Stories abound, but only if you buy the beer.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

I prefer to not use solar cells due to all the pollution that is created when the life of the solar cell is reached and attempts are made to dispose of the cells, only to find that there is nothing recyclable and the construction material is found to be polluting and toxic. But that's just my opinion FWIW

Modern panels are mostly recyclable, it's just that there are very few facilities capable of processing them. Since modern panels also have a ~25 year service life, there should be plenty of facilities up and running by the time most systems installed in the last five or ten years are ready for retirement.

https://www.cedgreentech.com/article/can-solar-panels-be-recycled

Not to mention the massive offset they provide over their lifespan, vs burning fossil fuels.

* This post was edited 06/02/21 09:51am by an administrator/moderator *

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.