RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Generators!! Yes YOU!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Solar may work well. Funny how most proponents in this thread list location as AZ, NM, CA, or the south. Give it a try in the Northeast, say in the deciduous forests of the Appalachins. Good luck.

We full time and travel all over the US, including heavily wooded areas, with no issues. We just need a partial clearing in the canopy so we can get some sun, and we're usually good. Even when mostly shaded, we'll still have energy coming in - usually outpacing our usage. Of course, individual panels and controller selection have a lot to do with that, as some systems handle shading better than others.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have never used things can be so certain in their denouncements of them.

* This post was last edited 06/02/21 10:12am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I frankly don't care if my generator offends someone. I'll camp the way I want and you camp the way you want. I'll do my best to park far away from you. Doesn't sound very nice but that's the way it is. Out in the boonies there are no rules.

Scary…….

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egarant wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I frankly don't care if my generator offends someone. I'll camp the way I want and you camp the way you want. I'll do my best to park far away from you. Doesn't sound very nice but that's the way it is. Out in the boonies there are no rules.

Scary…….

This isn't the wild west. As long as you are living in a civilized society there are rules.
Do you really want it to be survival of the fittest?

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Solar may work well. Funny how most proponents in this thread list location as AZ, NM, CA, or the south. Give it a try in the Northeast, say in the deciduous forests of the Appalachins. Good luck.

We full time and travel all over the US, including heavily wooded areas, with no issues. We just need a partial clearing in the canopy so we can get some sun, and we're usually good. Even when mostly shaded, we'll still have energy coming in - usually outpacing our usage. Of course, individual panels and controller selection have a lot to do with that, as some systems handle shading better than others.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have never used things can be so certain in their denouncements of them.

What never ceases to amaze me is how people assume people have never used things. Partial clearing? OK.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's REALLY scary is when someone makes the statement in their post (and I quote) "It is truly unfortunate that these people do exist." WOW, seriously man? We're talking about fellow RVers here, not serial killers. Lighten up.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I the only one here that has never heard a generator running all day or all night, all the Fed parks we've ever been to have very specific generator hours, usually 2 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in early evening, some even have NO Generator loops.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Am I the only one here that has never heard a generator running all day or all night, all the Fed parks we've ever been to have very specific generator hours, usually 2 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in early evening, some even have NO Generator loops.

In our experience in those parks, few people even know about the rules, and even fewer follow them. Enforcement is usually little to none.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

80% of our camping is dry camping. With 200 watt suitcase solar and 160’ of 8 AWG solar cable in 3 segments we park in the shade and put the solar in the sun. Some days we don’t run the generator at all. Other days we run it for coffee, microwave.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ramble, that's a great setup!! Two quick questions (not to hijack the thread). First, which brand of suitcase did you get? Second, with a 160 foot cable run, do you experience any significant voltage drop?

And (to bring it back on topic after my borderline hijack), if I had a setup like yours, I would be more willing to leave my generator home!! [emoticon]

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Ramble, that's a great setup!! Two quick questions (not to hijack the thread). First, which brand of suitcase did you get? Second, with a 160 foot cable run, do you experience any significant voltage drop?

And (to bring it back on topic after my borderline hijack), if I had a setup like yours, I would be more willing to leave my generator home!! [emoticon]

Profdant139 - I have a Renogy 200 watt. Open it is 36” high x 52” long. They have a lighter taller narrower one but it won’t fit in storage. I have a 2nd controller to locate near the batteries that I use for the 160’ run case since the 0.2 ohm estimated wire resistance implies a 2 volt drop. Most of the time I just use 40’ with the built in controller. I like to keep the setup flexible to use to charge the chassis battery or other batteries.

Cold camping we run our gen before 10pm and crank the heat up so the furnace doesn’t kick in for a few hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.