|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic portable fridge/freezer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased a Dometic portable fridge/freezer on sale for $250 less than normal, a Memorial Day sale. Wondered who’s had experience with these, and appreciate your feedback. As I’m heading out on a month-long vacation, it won’t be for at least another 30 days before I can test it, and if not satisfied, will return it. For now, this seems an ideal piece of equipment to add to the Class A to allow for extra storage when boondocking...

Please comment if you have experience with this brand, and the 75DZ model, Dual Zone - thanks!

* This post was edited 06/19/21 07:57pm by obiwancanoli *

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one in the basement of our Fifthwheel and use it as a second freezer, have a residential three door fridge with bottom freezer. Thought the fridge freezer would be enough space, but since we're "Most Timers" approx 10 months in the RV wanted more freezer space.
Was going to run the Dometic freezer on 12 VDC while traveling, bet decided to keep it on 120VAC and added an outlet off our Inverter.
Been doing this now for over five years and not issues.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lack of response suggests this unit isn't very popular... or, did I simply ask a dumb question? Was really hoping for a more robust response, thinking this unit was something RV'rs would consider a useful tool... but... no?

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They come in some Class A's normally carried in the storage compartment on a slide out tray.
I have a MORryde tray mounted in our basement where ours lives, just pull out the tray to get into the freezer.
The cost probably stops lots of folks unless they're Full or Long term travelers and want/need the additional freezer/fridge space.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How ironic. We just purchased the Dometic CFX28, dual zone, primarily to use either tent or popup trailer camping as we have both including a fifth wheel (but may use it while FW camping depending on the need). We haven't taken a trip yet with it, but hubby meticulously researches before he buys and he liked this one. As a test, we plugged it in to our Jackery Explorer 1000. It draws 2w's and we've been running it now about 18 hours and the Jackery is at 85% power.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to install a sliding tray for the pass-thru to hold the fridge/freezer, as there's a plug in there I can tap into, and it would be convenient to have it stored in the RV... but, until I do that, I'm probably going to put it in the back of my SUV, as I've got a 12V plug I can run it off there, too.

One of my concerns here is how much power it may draw if left powered by the SUV's battery system... from what I can surmise, it doesn't draw a lot of juice, but of course, I don't want to drain the SUV battery either.. any thoughts out there as to the workability of my plan?

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Lifestyle

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

One of my concerns here is how much power it may draw if left powered by the SUV's battery system... from what I can surmise, it doesn't draw a lot of juice, but of course, I don't want to drain the SUV battery either.. any thoughts out there as to the workability of my plan?

Forget using your SUV starter battery. You need a separate and rather big battery for this. They draw A LOT of juice. I don't know how people measured 2W (??), this is too low even for a 28L single-zone unit. My 50L dual-zone unit by another brand, with freezer 4F and fridge 40F draws 30-50W. On a standby - no cycling - it draws 2W, yes.

What's the worst is that it runs 70% cycle with the end-result 45-50 AH per 24 hours at ambient 77-85. In a single-zone mode, no freezing, the entire box at 4F, 50L box should draw 20-25 AH per 24 hours. Maybe 20 AH for a smaller box. You need 100 AH deep cycle AGM or flooded battery to last you 2 days, for cooling only, no freezing. Or 50-70 AH Lithium.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought one of these based on a review from Haylett RVs Youtube review.
We bought it to haul some meat across the state, and right now we are testing it as a beer cooler.
After 1 week, we like it.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dp

* This post was edited 06/28/21 08:20pm by cptqueeg *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic portable fridge/freezer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.