|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Propane Firepit Restrictions - West Coast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the restrictions for a propane firepit on the West Coast? WA, OR and CA have all had some significant fires in the last 2 years so I'd like to get an idea of restrictions before leaving for the summer.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Wa they have always been allowed in State CG's no matter how bad fires are or what the burn-ban situation is. That's why we bought a PP firepit in the first place.

memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the only place I've ran into that had a hard spot with a propane fire pit was "Jim & Mary's RV" just north of Wye, MT (which is just east of Missoula on I-90). They did have a sign about no open flames, camp fires, etc. so we thought a propane 'fire pit' should be fine. Camp host came up and started telling us it wasn't allowed. I asked what, exactly, was the difference between this and the propane BBQ the sites on either side of us were visibly using at the time. They didn't care, turn it off / put it away, or leave. Never said a word to the people with the BBQs.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the propane fire pts get hot and are close to the ground I can see where they would not be allowed. Nobody has a BBQ that sits 6" off the ground.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is Washington State website with chart for levels of burn ban and items that can be used. It is dated 2020, but I believe it will be the same for 2021.Burn bans

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

If the propane fire pts get hot and are close to the ground I can see where they would not be allowed. Nobody has a BBQ that sits 6" off the ground.

Obviously you do not use one as the bottom doesn’t get hot...yes it gets warm but not hot enough to start a fire.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a small 19.89 grill from Walmart. Table top model. Sits about six inches from the surface.
Does get hot and I once melted a plastic table.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When a burn ban states "no open flames", they mean no open flames including propane fire pits. Forest fires consume hundreds of thousands of acres of forest every year. People lose their homes and sometimes their lives. The rules regarding burn bans are painted with broad brushes by necessity. The authorities are not interested in policing and determining who has a "safe" fire and who does not. When given the choice of taking maximum precautions to prevent a catastrophic forest fire or getting some camper's panties in a wad because they can't use a propane firepit, precaution and protection is the obvious choice.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

In Wa they have always been allowed in State CG's no matter how bad fires are or what the burn-ban situation is. That's why we bought a PP firepit in the first place.

Same here. We have always been able to use our propane fire pit all summer long even during strict burn bans. Ours sits about 15" off the ground and does not get hot underneath. Same as a BBQ.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Year's Ruling ... Colorado allows them in even in a higher stage fire ban, as the device has an immediate gas disconnect (ON, OFF) to the burner, which is their definition of an allowable device, whereas other "pits and devices" have combustibles that do not/cannot immediately stop burning.

Here, the county authorities mostly chose to follow State and Federal guidelines for Fire Danger and restrictions... for the most part. There's always that exception, though, where arguing gets you nowhere successfully. My take on it is, "your park, your rules".

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Propane Firepit Restrictions - West Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.