|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F-350 6.2 gas - cruise control response lazy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On cruise in rolling hill terrain the speed will drop 5 mph before the engine / trans gets around to leaning into the harness. The committee meeting takes longer than I like and it must annoy following traffic. Once a downshift is decided on then the truck accelerates uphill back to cruise speed. No, this is not the best strategy for fuel economy.

It is marginally better in tow/haul. The other tow/haul function is fine.

It is also a bit better on 91 gas vs 87 but it is still there.

If I use manual trans mode which is available with cruise on, shifts are crisp and instantaneous, and the engine rarely needs to be above 3000 or 3500 rpm to get the job done with my camper / trailers. Set speed is easily maintained. The lag and then drop 2 gears downshift and accelerate cycle is gone completely.

Is the throttle / downshift respone on cruise control programmable on a 2012 era F-350 6.2 gas Torqshift 6 speed without spending hundreds$ on a tuner?

Thanks

Before you post "get a diesel" - it's ok I have one in my Kenworth complete with dools.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are various fuel mileage mandates. This is EXACTLY why the truck responds that way, to increase fuel mileage.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I got rid of my 2016 gas Ram. By the time it decides to get going, it's in the hole big time and has to try to catch up, and when towing up a mountain pass, it might not catch up until over the top. Hello Cummins!
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 100 Nights

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F150 does the exact same thing. I don't think the cruise was intended for hill country.
I'm proactive and give it the gas when I see an incline coming. Sometimes I just take it off of cruise and drive it the old fashion way.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

If I use manual trans mode which is available with cruise on, shifts are crisp and instantaneous, ...

When I towed with my old E150 4.6L, I always took it out of overdrive when I approached a hill.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the world of crappy Ford cruise control! my V-10 Excursion did the same thing as does my current V-10 MH. by the time the PCM decides to open the throttle, you have already lost 5mph. so now the PCM has to open it more, when it realizes its not gaining speed it opens it more, now its at WOT and it downshifts 2 gears to try and bring the speed back up. even my 02 Excursion that was cable operated throttle body reacted this way. Our Explorer does the same thing. you have to give it throttle just before the hill to keep it from doing all that.
my old Dodge conv van, minivan and my current Chrysler 300 don't do that at all.
I will not own another Ford just because of this one feature, and the fact they rot away after 5 years!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I like driving my truck ... never use cruise control. Feels like the truck is less 'agile' for whatever reason, especially in hill country.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In hilly country (short up and down hills), cruise control has never been a great option.

I can look ahead and let the speed pick up by 5-10mph on the downhill and then let 5-10mph bleed off on the uphill...minimizing shifting and having to go wide open throttle.

As long as I'm not disrupting traffic, I'm fine with that...and usually the semis are doing the same thing, so it's not just me.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

There are various fuel mileage mandates. This is EXACTLY why the truck responds that way, to increase fuel mileage.

Well, they dropped the ball on that idea because it does nothing of the sort when towing and hauling. Maybe in the make believe world of EPA dynamometer testing. It has plenty of power to fluff along at 1500 rpm empty truck the sleepiness doesn’t matter but loaded it’s a pain.

Since my original post I have done a bit of reading … until meetings have taken place the ECM may not even be opening the throttle body fully as the load increases and speed falls away. I’m like, huh? It’s a truck…

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just help mine out with my foot when its not keeping up

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F-350 6.2 gas - cruise control response lazy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.