|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F-350 6.2 gas - cruise control response lazy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In any vehicle withe throttle-by-wire the issue is NOT opening the throttle, it is holding the current gear/not downshifting when there is a small increase in load.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a 1996 Dodge truck years ago the cruise was even worse than what you're describing; it would drop nearly 10 mph before accelerating and overshooting the cruise speed by nearly 10 mph.
All the Chevy truck's I've owned have kept the cruise speed pretty close, I'd say normally only a 2 or 3 MPH variance. The few Fords I've driven seemed to be somewhere between the two extremes.
I've found that when towing with my 2500 Suburban that has the 6 speed auto it actually works better to lock out 6th gear. The truck doesn't pick up as much speed on downhills and it picks speed back up quicker on the up hills. I ran the numbers on the ratios and it's like trading my 3.37 axle gears for 4.30.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

When I had a 1996 Dodge truck years ago the cruise was even worse than what you're describing; it would drop nearly 10 mph before accelerating and overshooting the cruise speed by nearly 10 mph.
All the Chevy truck's I've owned have kept the cruise speed pretty close, I'd say normally only a 2 or 3 MPH variance. The few Fords I've driven seemed to be somewhere between the two extremes.
I've found that when towing with my 2500 Suburban that has the 6 speed auto it actually works better to lock out 6th gear. The truck doesn't pick up as much speed on downhills and it picks speed back up quicker on the up hills. I ran the numbers on the ratios and it's like trading my 3.37 axle gears for 4.30.

That’s funny. My 97 Dodge conv van with a 5.9 and 3.90 gears never had an issue holding a set speed. Never even gave it a second thought even when towing a 6500lb TT.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krusty wrote:

I just help mine out with my foot when its not keeping up

I think that is the best advice. Easy solution.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Krusty wrote:

I just help mine out with my foot when its not keeping up

I think that is the best advice. Easy solution.

That’s what I do with my Fords. Granted it defeats the purpose of CC, but it’s only necessary in he mountains.

zenasboy

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we tow a #12K 5th wheel w/ a 2019 F350 6.2L and 4.30 gears and have noticed the same thing. Last fall we did a trip from southern IN to Ashville NC and I locked out 5th ad 6th gears the whole way down and back with cruise at 65mph. It ran right at 3K rpm, held its speed much better in hilly areas and only saw a .5mpg drop over what we typically get.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer, is no. Longer answer is I presume you’re experiencing this “lag” with a trailer in tow.
From the towing with my previous 2012 and 2015 F250 gassers, this is the case. Not near as much lag running bobtail.
What you’re expecting is that the sensitivity of the cruise varies with load. And it doesn’t appear to.
The truck would effectively have to anticipate the grades and slope breaks in the highway and afaik, it doesn’t have an inclinometer built in like some of the newer trucks.

All that said, this is not something that would concern me, but rather a trait of the vehicle.
In contrast, the CC on my 1986 GMC is much more responsive. But to a fault as in it will instantly hammer the throttle to catch up and then cut the throttle to back down.
Solution for both of us, use our right feet as god intended and manually control the throttle input based on our personal computers (brains).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F-350 6.2 gas - cruise control response lazy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.