|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question on Running Onan onboard Gen on hot days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be advised on hot days (85+) to leave the door open when running the generator to help keep it a bit cooler?

Also, when traveling in hot weather, does anyone run their onboard gen so they can run their AC's? I don't know that it sounds like a good idea, but wanted to see if it is a common practice or not?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the generator is installed properly, there's no need to leave the door open. If you're referring to a door or panel on the generator itself (as opposed to one on the RV to get at the generator), having it open or removed will often lessen the cooling efficiency of the generator by allowing cooling air to escape rather than flow over the hot bits to cool them down.

Many people run the generator while on the road, and it's not really a safety hazard or otherwise a bad idea. You do need to shut it off (along with the main engine) when refueling, of course.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience, 100 plus degree day, ran gen on the road for AC. About 8hs driving.
Pulled into CG, thing vapor locked. Was fine in a few hours.

So yeah I think you can get them hot enough to vapor lock

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having an air cooled diesel generator (Lambordini) I found that having clean cooling fins helps. I play a strong fan across it on miserably hot days.

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, running the generator while on the road is common practice. On my 5th wheel trailers I liked to run the generator to cool things off about an hour before arrival. Opening the compartment door won't do much. My current generator is enclosed in a sound insulated box with a vented door and the generator has its enclosure of course. My other larger trailer just had the generator in the front compartment, no sound box and it was less noisy. The difference between the current 4.0 KW and previous 5.5 KW is substantial. Smaller one is a good bit louder, I only run it when I really need to!

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only once did my generator go OVERHEAT and shut down
That day when I got back to the ride after shopping the Genturi was so hot (NOTE the generator had already shut down) I had to wear gloves. So with the Genny off what was making that black polycarbonate tube too hot to handle... The SUN of course. only time I've needed gloves to handle it.

The generator specifically warned to NOT open the compartment but keep it closed to insure proper (as designed) air flow... I suspect not all enclosures are proper. But do not open the generator's own access panel .

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to set up RV shows in the Tucson summer without access to a power pedestal. We had to run the gens, on the big diesels, all day for four days. None of them had any problems, that's what they're designed to do.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I left out a few details. I meant an onboard generator in a toy hauler. An Onan 5500. We will be heading to our destination in 90-degree temps. The trip will be about an hour and a half

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always leave the generator door closed. As said, it is designed to pull air through a certain pathway. The RV outer access door is not related and can be closed or open. I suppose open it will let more hot air escape from under the coach.
The Onan moves a LOT of air over its cooling fins when running, you do not need to help it. RV outer door open or closed wont matter, there is a LOT of air being pushed across the Onan motor.
Driving or parked has no effect, doesnt matter.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what the generator is for. To supply power in the absence of shore power. If you can survive on a hot day of travelling without the rooftop air, more power to you (pardon the pun). We ran the genset pretty much the entire time on the road. We had a previous MH that had the genset right behind the engine manifold and sometimes while travelling on 100 degree days, it would go in overheat shutdown mode. It was getting more hot air from the V10 exhaust manifold than fresh cool air from outside. I chalk it up to a MH design flaw. Anyway, I installed 2 HVAC registers in the bin door to allow more fresh air and never had the issue again. Was never a problem parked.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Question on Running Onan onboard Gen on hot days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.