|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Awning LED Light Strip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our main awning has an LED strip in the tube, only usable when the awning is fully extended. We are replacing our old 15' Carefree awning. Rather than having them rewire the existing LEDs, we would prefer having an LED strip attached to the wall under the awning, using the existing 12V power wires. What's a good source for reliable, easily attachable outdoor LED strips?

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.
Dave

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered mine off Amazon. They come on a roll and install with 3m double sided tape. Very easy. I'll post more info tomorrow. They can be cut to length with scissors BTW

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was 16.4 ft and cost about $13. It was the same as the oem led strip that had a bunch of burned out leds

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 01:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cheap strip on Amazon or Ebay are just that, cheap, and not outdoor rated. They might last a year, or forever. A lot depends on where you're located. Maybe forever if your in the SW, maybe a year or two if in the NE.

A company named Recpro on Ebay sells a kit that is IP68 outdoor rated for about $50. The LED strip is encased in a waterproof silicone sleeve. The kit comes with plastic channels you attach to underside of the awning rail with included 3M tape, then the LED strip snaps into this channel. They make it this way as 3m tape will not stick to the silicone sleeve. The bad side is if you cut it to length you compromise the silicone encasement, but its available in different lengths. It is alsobonly sold in white or blue so you can't make the campground look like the Vegas strip of thats your thing.

ronbiel

AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 01:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

I ordered mine off Amazon. They come on a roll and install with 3m double sided tape. Very easy. I'll post more info tomorrow. They can be cut to length with scissors BTW

What's the name of the amazon seller? I need to buy LED strips soon.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered a strip of LED from amazon as well, BUT they are supposed to be for OUTDOORS and waterproof. Yes, I have had them a year and have not installed them. Our Class C did not have them originally, so I'd have to drill a small hole thru in order to get power for them. I just haven't had the desire to drill that hole yet.

Point is, there are waterproof/outdoor versions on amazon. Costs more.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Thanks Ron

How long have you been using yours? Have they proven reliable? I'm reading many bad reviews on Amazon.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

Our Class C did not have them originally, so I'd have to drill a small hole thru in order to get power for them. I just haven't had the desire to drill that hole yet.
I've seen a few installs where they used the porch light power. Remove the porch bulb, tap into that power and use the porch light switch to control the LED strip. May work for you if the porch light is conveniently located.

Quote:

Point is, there are waterproof/outdoor versions on amazon. Costs more.
I am looking for something reliable. My original awning strip failed within 6 months. They were replaced under warranty. After 8 years, my current strip are more than half failed.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought these for my MH.

LED light strip

They make a complete kit with power supply and remote. I put these on the awning rail at the wall and under the RV. Have had them for 3 years now and another set on our TT for 5 years.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please reconsider exterior lighting! With many folks lighting up the campground we’re losing the camping experience of watching for shooting stars, satellites & planets. Then with the use of lighting, TV’s, stereos, etc the generators are coming on disturbing another camping experience - the quiet not found in the cities from which the campers came… or maybe I’m wrong but I thought that camping was to get away from all that stuff?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Awning LED Light Strip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.