|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC Question For Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Landry wrote:

Just curious.. What is the significance of 8.1V? What would create that particular voltage?

Yes 8.1?
Jerry

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flute Man wrote:

Bob Landry wrote:

Just curious.. What is the significance of 8.1V? What would create that particular voltage?

Yes 8.1?
Jerry

Two shorted battery cells?
Minimum voltage for the tstat?

Inquiring minds what to know!

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some RVP systems that utilize 8 volts to the tstat from the upper control board and THAT is normal. BUT only for the older mechanical wall tstats and not for more current LCD display. What I would do in your case is remove the Tstat and add 2 wires from the POS and NEG and connect to a Volt meter and see if the voltage drops from 12 volts when you experiance the DIMMING. IF NOT, then I would say the tstat is bad. If it does drop you have a bad ground or POS connection somewhere. Even the minimal milliamp draw of the tstat LCD causing a volt draw would be amazing to cause a bad connection to cause the volt drop. But, I guess it can happen. Maybe your GROUND to the tstat is NOT a real ground. Another way, is to run a 2 wire connection from your 12 volt fuse center and connect 12 volt POS and NEG at the Fuse center and run to the tstat to verify a GOOD voltage connection. You stated YOU did not run the tstat wires. Doug

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several things to look at. The 12V wires were provided by the manuf. and were already in place, as was the thermostat cable. The thermostat came with molex connectors so I had to cut those off and butt connect to the t-stat cable. I was able to match colors so there was no confusion there. We did check for proper voltage on the 12V wiring they provided. I'm going back this weekend to double check everything. Thanks to all for all of the info.

2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the OEM supplies a prewire, they rarely connect the 12 volt POS and NEG to a power source. Doug

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is correct. I had to tie into a 12V wire for a ceiling light which Grand Design had pulled close to the location There was also a 115V wire there. This is standard on Grand Design units prewired for a 2nd AC.
Anyway... Here's an update.
As stated above, the thermostat has functioned correctly since installation. It appears that the LED segments and backlight function correctly when the room temp hits 70 or lower. Anything above 70 and the brightness of the LEDs and backlight become close to the samebrightness and the Tstat is barely readable.
I'm going with a bad thermostat. Wierd,,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC Question For Doug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.