|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Regular Microwaves vs RV Microwaves

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tylerm96

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone!

Bought an RV last month and now have to get a bunch of stuff including a decent microwave. I browsed some online stores like ***Link Removed*** and noticed that the prices on RV microwaves are on average 50-70 dollars higher compared to regular ones.

Are there any major differences or it is just a marketing trick?
I don't need anything fancy, just want it to work.

Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV microwave does have a venting system. Since the turntable has died, I will be replacing it with something from Walmart that most nearly fits the space. I may get a Panasonic because that make uses inverter technology so running at lower power doesn't "pulse" on and off, it actually consumes less power when set to 80% or 40%.

If I can't find one to fit--then I'll buy the cheapest one that does fit.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV microwaves are cheap junk, the one thing that may be different is that there may be venting for those mounted in a cabinet. If you buy one meant for home use, be sure that it will vent properly.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not talked about much but most microwave manufacturers offer a 'built-in' kit to allow for flush mount installation in cabinetry.

The one in my S & B is this way, it also vents to the outside not back into the kitchen.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the difference between an RV microwave like the Dometic CDMW12B and a Home Microwave like the LG CDMW12B (note they are the same model number)

The door on the Dometic says DOMETIC and the one on the LG says LG.
Now because of the way the dometic was originally mounted the installer did some sheet metal work to duct exhaust air but the microwave itself is identical to the Lucky Goldstar. and in case you are wondering I've never been lucky enough to have Goldstar products work (So the one that is now in my apartment kitchen is a CDMW12B/yxm the suffix means I re-designed part of it, did some machining and replaced one LG part with a GE part, now it works great).

But the reason for the ducting is originally the unit was installed in a closed cabinet the mounting flange had vents and they routed exhaust air into the flange... AMANA's vent to the front (At least the 2 I had did). so that would not be needed

if the compartment is open.. you don't need to do that (I eventually opened the compartment)

but the mirowave... Is identical save for the name Dometic on the door . Oh and the price tag.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m seeing less and less of microwaves being vented to the outside. While ours has a fan, it sucks cooking fumes through a filter much the same way most home microwaves do with no venting to the outside.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my RV Samsung quit I replaced it with a $30 microwave from Walmart. It worked great in my Rv.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

What is the difference between an RV microwave like the Dometic CDMW12B and a Home Microwave like the LG CDMW12B (note they are the same model number)

Now because of the way the dometic was originally mounted the installer did some sheet metal work to duct exhaust air but the microwave itself is identical to the Lucky Goldstar. and in case you are wondering I've never been lucky enough to have Goldstar products work (So the one that is now in my apartment kitchen is a CDMW12B/yxm the suffix means I re-designed part of it, did some machining and replaced one LG part with a GE part, now it works great).

But the reason for the ducting is originally the unit was installed in a closed cabinet the mounting flange had vents and they routed exhaust air into the flange... AMANA's vent to the front (At least the 2 I had did). so that would not be needed

if the compartment is open.. you don't need to do that (I eventually opened the compartment)

but the mirowave... Is identical save for the name Dometic on the door . Oh and the price tag.

then you get greystone, which is not the same as any other brand for issues like the motherboard. mine recently went, but it was just a lose wire in a cheep plug. if it would have been the motherboard it would have been junk because the repair shop couldnt trase the numbers on it to anywhere. some times I envy your prices in the US, 40 bucks for microwave that would cost 150.00 here and the rv ones are about 450.00

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

then you get greystone, which is not the same as any other brand for issues like the motherboard. mine recently went, but it was just a lose wire in a cheep plug. if it would have been the motherboard it would have been junk because the repair shop couldnt trase the numbers on it to anywhere. some times I envy your prices in the US, 40 bucks for microwave that would cost 150.00 here and the rv ones are about 450.00

Steve

I bought a microwave at Cdn Tire a while back for $75. If I wait for a sale bet I could push $65. With exchange that is about the same. MasterChef house brand.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Regular Microwaves vs RV Microwaves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.