|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
esox07

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Background info:
2011 K-Z Sportsmen CLassic 19BH trailer.

I rented out my camper this past weekend to a couple with a young daughter. I went to pick up the camper and when I went to open the FW tank drain under the bunk bed, I see a bunch of insects scurrying around on top of the white water tank. My eyes were not adjusted from the sunny outside yet so I couldn't tell what they were, but first though some kind of roach. Anyway, I closed the lid and waited a bit for my eyes to adjust and opened it again and they turned out to be big black ants. Maybe a quarter inch long. There were dozens of them. I went outside and sure enough, there were a some on the ground below the water storage area. Now, I had never seen any of them at any point in the past in my camper. I had opened the tank cover to close the drain valve before the rental and did not see any and if they were there, I am sure I would have as many of them as there were. So, I assume the infiltrated the camper during the rental which was just two nights.
When I got home, I broke out a can of insect killer spray and sprayed the snot out of the whole area under the bunk which houses the Hot water tank, fresh water tank water pump and 30 amp electrical cord. They immediately started scattering and dying. I am sure there were well over 100 I could see dead. There were a few I found outside the tank storage area and I killed them. That was yesterday. Today, I went back in to check and noticed a couple out in the open and under things like the waste basket. I checked all the cupboards and other storage areas and didn't see more than maybe one in any of them. I didn't see any live ones in the tank storage area. So, I am hoping I killed off the colony and the few I found today were just stragglers. I will keep checking periodically, but should I be worried? Should I bug bomb the camper? What would you suggest I do if I continue to see them?

Here are some photos after I sprayed the water storage area.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 06/07/21 05:59pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol, is this the first time you've ever dealt with ants?

It's obvious you have/had mice, so hard to believe this is a stretch or real issue.
I wouldn't have sprayed them an made a big mess under there. That's what ant traps and ant bait are for.
They're ants. Kill em and get on with life!
And no, I wouldn't bug bomb the camper.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plz make the pics just a bit bigger. I can almost make out their DNA.

esox07

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you got their DNA, can you come up with a Covid Vaccine for the little bastards.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/TERRO-Indoor........d-Ant-Killer-Baits-1-Pack-T300/202532940 it's some awesome stuff, once they find it, they take it back to their nest and kills off all their relatives.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it is necessary to use a bug bomb inside the TT, too messy and excess residue might prove harmful to dogs and/or cats. Spot spraying might be needed if ants are still a nuisance, we have had similar episodes a time or two over 3 decades of RVing and try not to overuse bug spray as it lingers. Can happen to anybody, I don't think renters had any idea this was going on, glad yo were able to discover it early enough to contain them.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider yourself fortunate that is the only problem with your rental.

If you moved the RV then they will die off. Ant spray and bait rarely help for me. A good dose of bug killer on everthing that touches the ground can deter them. But best to find the nest and soak it with the bug killer. Once you get the queen and future queens they are done.

And take the hint and fix your pictures.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

esox07

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah. sorry about the photos being so big. I don't know how to replace them now. I don't see an edit option.

esox07

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I couldn't find the edit button due to it being off the page due to the huge photo sizes.
I think it is fixed now.
Thanks.

SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regular old blue Windex will take out ants just about instantly. Then just wipe them up!
[image]

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.