|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2018 Lincoln Navigator tow reviews

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone tow with a Lincoln Navigator?

I have a 2018 Navigator 4x4 with heavy duty tow pkg. it’s rated at 8100 lbs tow capacity.

I had a 2002 2500 Suburban 8.1 and 4.10 gears prior to this.

Just was curious to get some real reviews of anyone that used a navigator as their tow vehicle and how they like it?

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/21 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, I towed a 25' Airstream with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator for over ten years. Went from Southern California to Alaska and back. This was for 50 days and over 10,000 miles. I thought that the Colorado mountains were going to kill my Lincoln, but they didn't. Many other trips, none of them less that several hundred miles each.

Starting in 2015, I retired my Lincoln from towing and now tow with an F-150 Ecoboost. My Lincoln is still used daily for local driving.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter's family uses an Expedition (twin of the Navigator) for towing primarily because they have 4 kids. You can save a few lbs by purchasing the standard version 8bstead of the long/extended version.

Like most trucks, the towing capacity is a bit "optimistic".

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power should be fantastic, better than your 8.1L/4-spd combo! Suspension will not be as great, so I'd stick to about 6k dry and learn how to adjust the WDH for 100% front axle weight restoration.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the Navigator an L model (long wheel base?)

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Power should be fantastic, better than your 8.1L/4-spd combo! Suspension will not be as great, so I'd stick to about 6k dry and learn how to adjust the WDH for 100% front axle weight restoration.

The towing guide calls for 50% weight restoration. They don't say why but I suspect that is has something to do the energy absorbing crumple zone in the frames for the lighter trucks. See page 36 for hitch setup.

3018 Ford Towing guide

My brother had an older Expedition with air suspension and loved it for trailer towing. The air suspension can make setting up a weight distributing hitch a little trickier since the back axle is always going to end up at the same height regardless of tongue load. If you have air suspension you may want to put a pressure gage on the air bags to get a feel for how much weight you have added to the rear axle.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 Expedition MAX that we use to tow our 7000 pound boat. I also had a 2003 2500 Burb with the 8.1.

I never fell in love with the 8.1 for towing the way so many have. IMO, both the 6.2 Yukon Denali and the 3.5 EcoBoost in the Ex are better engines.

Anyway, I think you will really like the power of the engine. And the 10 speed is one of the better transmissions I have driven. Towing MPG isn't very good, but the power is always there. Most of the time, the engine and transmission temps are fine, but towing through the Rockies, they get higher than I would like (I've seen over 240 in both engine and tranny).

The towing package has some nice features. I like how you can adjust for different trailers, and still use the blind spot warnings in the mirrors. I've played around with the back up assist, and while I haven't been patient with it, I also haven't been able to get it to work when showing it to someone. Personally, I wouldn't rely on it.

I don't think that the Ex gives anything up to the 2500 Burb in towing manners. It is way more stable than my Yukon was.

Within it's limits, I think your Navigator will make a very nice tow vehicle.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would still aim for 100% front axle weight restoration for towing a TT. If not, then the rear axle will likely be overloaded and steering a little oversensitive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2018 Lincoln Navigator tow reviews
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.