|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can put lipstick on a pig...

Trailers in general are very poorly assembled. Yours got tossed on it's side with unknown damage. I would be very concerned with it's structural integrity.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Buy it, do the repairs and go camping/traveling.
If you can't sell it in a few years, give it away.

My only concern would be the salvage title. Your state does not require RV insurance. Ask your insurance agent what happens if, while towing, the frame or axle breaks and the TT causes a crash. Are you covered for liability?

The tow vehicles liability insurance would cover it just like it does even when you have specific RV insurance.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your insurance company is probably valuing it as a used trailer, not new. Try to get your insurance company to find you either a used, which likely won't exist, or a new one for the price they are offering to pay. When they can't find one try to get them to pay you more money.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper was totaled last week. Hail damage on one side. I bought it back. If the buy back is cheap enough go ahead and do it if that's what you want to do and salvage your season. Just be prepared if you have a few issues.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have good DIY skills, and are OK with having a permanently blemished RV go for it. Do not try to make it perfect, settle making it usable/livable.
Don't sweat the small stuff and be willing to walk away if there turns out to be major concealed damage.
Do not make any extensive cosmetic repairs, focus on repairs to make RV functional.
Go into it with not a lot of expectation. THere is a risk / gamble involved.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say, I saw the picture of it on it's side and it came through it much better than I expected. I'm amazed all the glass, including that huge glass door, is still intact!

If you are willing to put the work in and use it less then perfect, and go in with your eyes open knowing there could be hidden issues, go for it.

Take off the awning, fix the trim, and seal up that crack in the fiberglass (maybe some sealer covered with eternabond, maybe throw the vent cover over top for good measure), and camp away.

I've seen people camping in worse that hadn't been flipped over.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your money, your decision, but everyone here thinks it is a HUGE mistake. Good luck.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it doesn't cost you much then Why Not ? You already said that you can't get a new one for that price.

It kinda depends on the type of person you are. If you are picky and want everything to be PERfect then give up and walk away. It will never be perfect. But, if you are the type of person that can make it GOOd enough for you then do that.

My old TT has had a soft spot in the floor for the 10 years that I've owned it. Some people on here would pull up the whole floor and rebuild the rig just to fix the one soft spot. Me,,, I've been using it for 10 years and just don't worry about it.

It all depends on if you will be happy with it.

Only you can decide that !!

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

I have to say, I saw the picture of it on it's side and it came through it much better than I expected. I'm amazed all the glass, including that huge glass door, is still intact!

If you are willing to put the work in and use it less then perfect, and go in with your eyes open knowing there could be hidden issues, go for it.

Take off the awning, fix the trim, and seal up that crack in the fiberglass (maybe some sealer covered with eternabond, maybe throw the vent cover over top for good measure), and camp away.

I've seen people camping in worse that hadn't been flipped over.

When it rollover the awning tooks most of the impact, it's basically a roll of cloth so buffered a bit I guess

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your BIGGEST questionable unknown in your idea and plan is that you are assuming you can find a RV repair shop that can and will be able to repair your damaged trailer. How long will the repair shop take to make all the repairs and what warranty will they give if any of their repairs goes bad. What will be the total costs to do all the repairs?????? I would not choose to buy it back IMHO!!!!

I actually plan to repair it myself, just replace the trim, move the awning and cover the crack that kind of thing. I know I'm being cheap but before this TT, I have been tent camping[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.