|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

One thing I don't see anyone having mentioned...i understand the plan for the exterior is to patch and tape? Using that approach, you may be limited in what parks you would be permitted to use...state parks and most other public parks would be fine, but most private places have a 'no truck campers, no tents, no units over 10 years old, and for anything that might otherwise comply we reserve the right to refuse to rent if we determine the thing is just fugly' rule...that 'catch-all' might be used to keep you out of some parks if in fact it's basically held together 'with spit and baling wire'

While those do exist, I don't think the term "most" is true. In 14 years of camping, I have never actually SEEN one with that policy.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sent the OP a PM so hopefully we will get an update.

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, Everyone, appologize for the late update.

So after I get my TT from insurance, I did some minimal repair and made 4 trips.

The repairs done:
1. Paint the scracches
2. Add a piece of metal on the corner
3. Replace the hand grip
4. Reinforce the refrigerator

Pending repairs:
1. Replace broken corner molding, parts are ready
2. Crack on the wall, plan to seal a bit then cover with a vent cover
3. Reinforce two walls around the broken corner
4. replace the broken electric tongue jack. Parts on the way.
5. Guess I'm gonna live w/o awning

I didn't want to do the major repair just yet be cause I'm worried I might mess up and take longer. Really don't want to miss my first RV camping season. Plus there's no rain here in PNW in summer and I have a covered storage. I plan to do it right before raining season.

So far everying is working fine. I tried to take my time towing and some time hold the traffic a bit, then I pull over to let people pass. One inseresting thing I found is when I towing slower, I actually get better MPG like 13, it used to be a bit more than 10MPG.

Here're a couple of latest pics of my TT. I don't think it really looks that bad to be kicked out by RV park.[emoticon]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 07/09/21 11:45pm by protel *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way to go! A few battle scars make for a good story at any campfire. Not for me but I am glad it is working for you. Perfection is overrated. I call it "patina".

I equate this to the ripped jeans kids wear these days. When I was a kid we had to earn those rips falling off our bike, sliding into 3rd base, street football, jumping a chain link fence and all the rest. Enjoy the memories.... that trailer is now predisastered and can go anywhere. [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update. Did everything work, refer etc.?

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good. I’m glad it’s working out for you.
Thanks for updating.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

protel wrote:

One inseresting thing I found is when I towing slower, I actually get better MPG like 13, it used to be a bit more than 10MPG.

This is absolutely true. When pulling a heavy load on a flatbed trailer, when you get to speed, inertia helps keep up that speed, and there is no appreciable increased wind resistance. When pulling a TT, you are actually pulling a large open parachute behind you. When you get to speed, the air resistance against the front of the trailer is trying to slow you down and it takes additional pressure on the gas pedal to overcome that. Hence, your decreased fuel mileage.

Your most fuel efficient speed is about 5 or 10 mph above the speed where you hit top gear. Top gear is your most fuel efficient gear. If you barely hit top gear, any small rise you have to cross will make it downshift. A little faster and you can top a small rise without that downshift taking you out of top gear. Of course, a large rise will downshift no matter what.

My experiments, with both a Class C MH and my Airstream, show that somewhere around 60 mph is the sweet spot. (I actually set the cruise control at 62. I have found that most folks drive on a 5 mph division, 55 or 60 or 65 or 70. By setting my speed 2 or 3 mph off of that division, I don't get caught up in the traffic wolfpacks. Everyone is either slowly passing me, or slowly being passed by me.)

MH - 60 mph gets 12 mpg while 70 mph gets 8 mpg. That is about a 16% increase in speed with a 33% decrease in fuel mileage. (That translated into refueling every 300 miles or every 200 miles.)

Airstream - the numbers are about 14 mpg and 9 mpg.

The tests were run over the same 1,000ish mile stretch of road. Of course, weather conditions were uncontrollable. This was tested while driving from my home in TN to my sister's home in CO.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT looks way better than most RVs on the road today.

So. let this be a lesson for the nay-sayers and doubters and the trolls who poop every idea of do it yourself.
From hence forth let there be no more panic-over-everything forum post.

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capacitor wrote:

Thanks for the update. Did everything work, refer etc.?

Yes, pretty much everything is tested during the past 4 trips.

Another instereting thing happened during the historic heat dome weekend. After coming back from cool coast camping, we found the AC really struggle to bring the temp down below 85F, I was sweating even after a cold shower. Then there's this idea came to me: how about the RV? It's parked on our drive way, so I turned on the AC and even gave it a cold shower with garden hose. Amazingly, 20min or so it's totally cool down to like 75F. I guess the small room really helps in that case. That night we ended up sleeping in our RV on our drive way to beat the heat.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad it worked out for you. Once you get the corner molding fixed on the back no one will ever notice unless they look really close.

Smooth of the scratches on the right front lower corner and paint them with some matching black tape. No one will notice them after that either.

I'm glad you got it working to save your camping season.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.