|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW's gasser I go by the OLM. Truck calls for 5,000 and I go 10,000 on the Mobil 1 oil/filter. The EV never gets changed. Miles only, never based on the calendar.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change my gas engines at 10k+ miles. I test every oil change and found at about 15k, oil is getting a bit long in the tooth. There is an exception, my wife's garage queen doesn't go beyond 2 years.

With the new F350D, I'm not quite sure what my oil change frequency will be. Interesting side note, when I've been doing a lot of towing, my oil analysis actually looks better than when not towing. Only explanation I can come up with, typically towing is much longer steady driving.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I usually reset the meter when it displays change oil soon … then the next time it comes up I change it if I still own the truck.

Back in the day, the saying was "Change your oil, or change your engine"
Has it evolved to Change your Truck?
I bought my 16 YO pickup new to replace a 20 YO pickup. Both of them came with a book that tells me when to change the oil

When you buy a Ford, its pretty common practice!!![emoticon]

I change my oil once a year, usually 8-9000 miles. I have a work car and my wife has a minivan, so the truck only gets used to tow the camper or occasional trips to the dump or hardware store.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I usually reset the meter when it displays change oil soon … then the next time it comes up I change it if I still own the truck.

Honestly why change oil at all on your rigs. [emoticon]

I change it 100% for the benefit of the next owner. There is absolutely no value in it for me. Probably a lot of us are in this same boat, only difference is some think they're doing engine oil changes for their own benefit.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

I have a 2005 Duramax as well. It only has 44,000 miles so if I waited for the dash indicator I would have some pretty old oil before I changed it. We have expensive engines, so $35 a year seems like cheap insurance. I change mine at the start of every camping season unless I make a cross country trip and really do a lot of miles.(8000 plus).

actually the GM system will time out at 0% after 50 weeks. it will go down either by the monitoring of the oil or 2% wk. Since GM says change the oil based on the DIC but at least once/year.

My 2015 often sits for a few weeks between drives, and yup oil life goes down the 2%/wk. During this last year with not much camping mine went to 0% in about 4,000 miles, actually 12 months of limited use.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I change it 100% for the benefit of the next owner. There is absolutely no value in it for me. Probably a lot of us are in this same boat, only difference is some think they're doing engine oil changes for their own benefit.

Your generosity is incomparable…

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Let me understand this? You spend 5 figures on a vehicle and drive it 10k or so and sell it?
How does that pencil out?

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I do both fuel filters and the oil and oil filter each spring. Both tend to show 25-35% left at that point, give or take. I run full synthetic and use the stratapore (?) Fleetguard filter. No issues yet.

I did finally buy one of those aluminum filter plugs and that's a gamechanger for the 4th gen and up Cummins trucks. It's still a stupid place to put an oil filter but the plug sure helps a lot - no mess and it makes it easy to pull out a filter full of hot oil.

I have switched from the Stratapore to Donaldson-AMZ/OIL oil filter as they filter even better and are US Made.

Simply remove intake tube and RnR filter from the top it's very easy and no spilled oil.

This is easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P6M........yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I do not put as many miles on my truck, I change mine once a year right before winter hits whether it is time to do so or not. I do it before winter because new oil is generally thinner than old oil for better startability and greater wear protection on cold starts. Back when I was putting 30k miles on my truck a year, I would change it every 15k along with the fuel filters.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I would do the same

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.