|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I do both fuel filters and the oil and oil filter each spring. Both tend to show 25-35% left at that point, give or take. I run full synthetic and use the stratapore (?) Fleetguard filter. No issues yet.

I did finally buy one of those aluminum filter plugs and that's a gamechanger for the 4th gen and up Cummins trucks. It's still a stupid place to put an oil filter but the plug sure helps a lot - no mess and it makes it easy to pull out a filter full of hot oil.

I have switched from the Stratapore to Donaldson-AMZ/OIL oil filter as they filter even better and are US Made.

Simply remove intake tube and RnR filter from the top it's very easy and no spilled oil.

This is easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P6M........yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you pre fill as Cummins recommends? If so how in the HE!! do you raise the filter one handed after removing the plug and not spill a drop trying to thread it on?

Do what you want but I get to check my turbo and I kept from having my truck blowing a boost hole and leave me stranded by removing my intake hose to change oil filter.

I know you don't instantly drop your oil filter right after your drain plug because if you did you would have oil flowing out the top. So while I am letting my filter drain back I remove my intake all of two minutes and do my air and fuel filters. So time savings is not an issue.

Also it cost's me nothing to do my method and don't need to pack another tool.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Now that I do not put as many miles on my truck, I change mine once a year right before winter hits whether it is time to do so or not. I do it before winter because new oil is generally thinner than old oil for better startability and greater wear protection on cold starts. Back when I was putting 30k miles on my truck a year, I would change it every 15k along with the fuel filters.

I am once a year now also since I started driving my 01 during the Summer months.

[image]

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On engine oil filter changing & possible mess...made this and one blow from a dead strike hammer drives it into the bottom/side of the oil filter.

Point the end towards the catch pan and then go about greasing all the joints, spray-painting any spots that look in need with black primer, check the tire pressure, treat the door gaskets with 303, etc.

Then come back to remove an empty oil filter and no mess.

Spin on a new filter and fill engine with new oil

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I do both fuel filters and the oil and oil filter each spring. Both tend to show 25-35% left at that point, give or take. I run full synthetic and use the stratapore (?) Fleetguard filter. No issues yet.

I did finally buy one of those aluminum filter plugs and that's a gamechanger for the 4th gen and up Cummins trucks. It's still a stupid place to put an oil filter but the plug sure helps a lot - no mess and it makes it easy to pull out a filter full of hot oil.

I have switched from the Stratapore to Donaldson-AMZ/OIL oil filter as they filter even better and are US Made.

Simply remove intake tube and RnR filter from the top it's very easy and no spilled oil.

This is easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P6M........yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you pre fill as Cummins recommends? If so how in the HE!! do you raise the filter one handed after removing the plug and not spill a drop trying to thread it on?

Do what you want but I get to check my turbo and I kept from having my truck blowing a boost hole and leave me stranded by removing my intake hose to change oil filter.

I know you don't instantly drop your oil filter right after your drain plug because if you did you would have oil flowing out the top. So while I am letting my filter drain back I remove my intake all of two minutes and do my air and fuel filters. So time savings is not an issue.

[image]

The filter sits upright just fine once you get it through the fender hole. It would be no problem to set it in there, spin off the cap and twist the filter on when it was full. But I don't pre-fill it, I was taught not to and old habits die hard.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No drama... No special tools... No risk of contaminating intake system...You can simply prefill if you choose to...no spills...no frills... no surprises...no debates on which method to access the filter is easier

[image]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I usually reset the meter when it displays change oil soon … then the next time it comes up I change it if I still own the truck.

Honestly why change oil at all on your rigs. [emoticon]

Like button. 4x’s philosophies are umm interesting, to be polite.

But more so, they’re subtle, maybe passive aggressive attempts of conveying his financial security to the point that changing a truck is just less of a nuisance than maintaining it, when the cost of trucks is like beer money to the “commoners.”

I can understand someone 65 years old who wants to buy a new truck, look after it and keep it until they toss him in a hole and throw dirt in his face, but, I'd be very surprised to find anyone who buys new every ten years and spends less on his overall truck expenses than I do.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

This is easier.

[image]

The filter sits upright just fine once you get it through the fender hole. It would be no problem to set it in there, spin off the cap and twist the filter on when it was full. But I don't pre-fill it, I was taught not to and old habits die hard.

I get every bit of what you said but raising it up in a confined space one handed seems like it would be difficult especially if pre filling.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

No drama... No special tools... No risk of contaminating intake system...You can simply prefill if you choose to...no spills...no frills... no surprises...no debates on which method to access the filter is easier

[image]

Yep and let’s not forget good mirrors.

Nice you have at least ONE easily accessible item.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

On engine oil filter changing & possible mess...made this and one blow from a dead strike hammer drives it into the bottom/side of the oil filter.

Point the end towards the catch pan and then go about greasing all the joints, spray-painting any spots that look in need with black primer, check the tire pressure, treat the door gaskets with 303, etc.

Then come back to remove an empty oil filter and no mess.

Spin on a new filter and fill engine with new oil

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Don’t think that would work on my 15. I do other things while mine siphons down with zero oil spilled. I usually let my engines drain overnight so plenty of time.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This whole thread makes me LOL!
In all my 49 years, I NEVER heard any scuttlebutt about changing oil.
It was like one of those certainties in life. Desth taxes and regular oil changes if you want to keep your car engine healthy.

Best one could do is argue Pennzoil vs Quaker State.....
Some of yall need new hobbies....
I'd read all the horror stories about changin the 4th Gen Ram oil filters...hotly debated subject for years now, and of all the ones I'd driven up til last year, never serviced one (not like 4x's no oil change theory, just company rigs and someone elses duty).
I was expecting some sort of challenge, so's I go remove the air intake and that took like 2 minutes and low and behold, there was the filter. Prolly easier than from underneath on my old 3rd Gen.

But to add to the debate, I generally don't prefill oil filters...so there's that.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When to change oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.