RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's up with Rocky Mt. National Park entry?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's up with Rocky Mt. National Park entry?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one has a reservation for camping inside Rocky, the confirmation of the camping reservation is required to show proof of reservation and the $2.00 reservation fee doesn't apply.

Buried deep within nps.gov/romo:
Visitors with campground reservations and wilderness camping permits will use those permits as their timed entry reservations. You may enter the park on the first day of your camping reservation. Entrance fees apply and can be paid at the entrance station. Visitors must have these camping permits in advance. There will be no same day sales at the park’s campgrounds. Visitors must have their camping reservation confirmation visible.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I would prefer there was no one telling me when and what time I could enter the park. That goes against why the NPS was created! “For the benefit and enjoyment of the people”! As of last year and this year, they have taken that away from the US (and visitiors from other countries) citizens!

You’re ignoring the part about “for future generations” which will be difficult to fulfill if the numbers of this generation are destroying or changing what is to be preserved for future generations.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I would prefer there was no one telling me when and what time I could enter the park. That goes against why the NPS was created! “For the benefit and enjoyment of the people”! As of last year and this year, they have taken that away from the US (and visitiors from other countries) citizens!

You’re ignoring the part about “for future generations” which will be difficult to fulfill if the numbers of this generation are destroying or changing what is to be preserved for future generations.

So do we just pick and choose who and when gets to see the NP’s? No. They need to restructure the NP service. It’s not the 1900’s anymore, parks need to grow with the people for future generations!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you willing to have a tax increase or a significant increase in entry fees to pay for the necessary infrastructure improvements to accommodate the increases in visitation?

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

So do we just pick and choose who and when gets to see the NP’s? No. They need to restructure the NP service. It’s not the 1900’s anymore, parks need to grow with the people for future generations!

Unfortunately it is not like you can build another Yosemite Valley, or another Longs Peak, Yellowstone caldera, or a glacier. Even if you were to grow the system and add more National Parks, I am not sure it would reduce the visitations at the ones that have gone to reservations - there is a reason the visitation at RMNP is ten times higher than the Black Canyon.

The NPS isn't picking and choosing who and when you can visit the parks, the users are still choosing, they just have to plan ahead. This is the same system that has been in place for campgrounds, back country hikers, river runners and climbers for years.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps the 1900s mission statement for the NPS should be updated for the modern more populous time and the increasing population of the future and focus more on preventing the adverse impacts of visitation on the land/natural resources it has been entrusted to preserve (wild lands, not a drive through safari park).

How A Surge in Visitors Is Overwhelming America’s National Parks
JULY 31, 2017

[image]
A crowd waits to ascend the Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. BRIAN HUGHES/SUMMITPOST

[image]
Trail ridge rd 2017

* This post was last edited 06/10/21 11:25am by BCSnob *   View edit history

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those sites are typical gov't sites and they are TERRIBLE! It took me over a month to find the timed entry pass and I was even trading emails with RMNP staff. She kept telling me where to find it and it wasn't there.... A difference in our puter systems, I guess.
I finally found it at recreation.gov and I put "timed entry pass" in the search box. Then I chose RMNP from the parks list and I eventually found the timed entry pass. I had to experiment... and my way was a far cry from the instructions I got from the RMNP lady.
It actually a good idea... If it works. They meter the entries according to what the "pull overs" can handle. It's always been a free for all, finding a place to park and I had to skip half of the pull overs, in the past. Craig

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

Unfortunately it is not like you can build another Yosemite Valley, or another Longs Peak, Yellowstone caldera, or a glacier. Even if you were to grow the system and add more National Parks, I am not sure it would reduce the visitations at the ones that have gone to reservations - there is a reason the visitation at RMNP is ten times higher than the Black Canyon.

The NPS isn't picking and choosing who and when you can visit the parks, the users are still choosing, they just have to plan ahead. This is the same system that has been in place for campgrounds, back country hikers, river runners and climbers for years.

Excellent reply. There can't be another Grand Canyon Nat'l Park or others. We need to take care of what we have and crowds like the two above posted photos is not taking care of our parks.

As volunteers in the national parks we saw first-hand the damage that some visitors do and the impact on crowds. It's not pretty.

We just need to plan ahead more and help to preserve the awesome parks we have.

vern kelly

la crescenta, ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was there last year in August and could not drive in from the west entrance to go to Estes due to the Governors orders. Had to have reservations they said, and being American was not good enough!. Could not get through on the phone to get reservations. Drove back down to I 70 and back up to get to our campground near Estes. Still could not get a reservation to get into the park but found out from the Campground host if you get up early and enter the park before 5 AM you were in for the day. Well he was right because they do not man the booth. Had a great day, hiked and drove up to the 12000 foot elevation with my RV! Crowds were minimal and had no real trouble parking. Made up for the long drive before. Supposedly this had to do with crowds, Pandemic ect.

1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's up with Rocky Mt. National Park entry?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.