RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Nor Cold 2 way??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Nor Cold 2 way??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the fans won’t resolve the issue. Nobody’s absorption fridge runs great on 12v because the wattage, and therefore BTU’s, of the 12v heating element is so low. It’s typically just barely enough to hold a pre-cooled fridge in moderate ambient temperatures.

When are you wanting to use the 12v setting? While driving? Do you not want to use the LP setting while driving? I have always had problems running my fridge in LP mode while driving, the flame gets blown out repeatedly.

I finally installed an inverter, and run the fridge in AC mode while driving. The AC heating element is much higher BTU’s than the DC element, so the fridge works better. Like you, I also have a DC-DC charger installed, so it can easily keep up with the draw of the fridge in AC mode.

You might consider trying that.

[emoticon][emoticon]

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As NRALIFR has said.
The 12v in 3-ways was designed to be used only when driving, and to "maintain" temps. And, over the years, many were poorly installed, and killed many batteries.They should be hooked up so the element only works when the vehicle is running, and now, they use modules that shut it off if voltage gets too low, usually about 13 volts. I added 12v to mine, RM2501, because I like to experiment,and I used one of the relay modules that they use in the UK and Australia, set the voltage to turn off the element at 12v. It can keep the fridge at 35f, but I have only used it 2 times, I expect it will not when it is 90-100f out. I have a small inverter, in case I have to take a long driving trip,and will use it on 120, especially in hotter weather,while driving.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me personally, I'll 'precool' the fridge by having the camper plugged into shore power and using the AC option 1-2 days before leaving on a trip.

Then I'll transfer precooled items from my house fridge/freezer to the campers fridge/freezer. I'll usually SHUT OFF the campers fridge/freezer before pulling out of my driveway.

While I live in Oregon and travel mostly in Oregon/Washington and the temperatures generally don't get higher than the 90's, I've found that the campers fridge/freezer will keep my items just fine (no matter what time of the year it is) during the 1-4 hours it takes to reach where I'm going.

When I reach my destination and start setting up, the campers fridge/freezer will get turned back on set to AC (if available) and propane if AC is not available. I see/find no need for the 'DC' mode/setting at all.

Obviously YMMV,

- Mark0.

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, yes that was part of the reason we wanted to run the fridge/freezer from 12 volt rather than propane was while driving, since we invested in a DCDC charger as well as the solar (and use the generator as the last resort as well as to run the microwave and other AC items.)

So apparently though the consensus is that 12 volt absorption fridges just aren't great for running long amounts of time and keeping up with the cooler temps.

Apparently I guess it won't pay then to order this fan kit if and instead will have to continue switching back and forth to propane I guess when the temps start showing they are getting warmer again in the fridge.

(At least until we invest in an inverter… so next question I guess would be, what size and type of inverter should we look into? Is A 3,000 pure sign wave inverter overkill for 12v setup?)

Thanks for the feedback!

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all the inverter is going to power is the fridge in AC mode, then yes, a 3000 watt pure sine inverter is overkill.

You need to check your specific model fridge, but the AC heat element in mine is less than 350 watts. You don’t even need a pure sine inverter for it either. I ran mine for several years using a 500 watt modified sine inverter and it worked just fine. What I didn’t like about that inverter though was the cooling fan on it was a screamer. It didn’t matter that much though since it was only on when we weren’t in the camper to hear it. Once I had other uses for an inverter though, I bought a better, quieter, PSW model.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DC evaporate fridge would maintain cool but took too long to actually drop temperatures. I only used it where propane had to be shut off, like ferries and tunnels. This round of RV, I skipped that option but may look into a DC compressor the next time.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your feedback!

I will see how it goes in the different seasons… It was an issue when the temps were in the 90s and we haven’t been out much again since then this year so far - but we hope to be very soon! (Need to head south and scope out some options as e will have my elderly parents along with us and need to figure out where to hang out with them.)

Ps - We always do the precool option too! So hopefully it will work off the 12v well enough… even if we can save some propane it will be helpful! And between the solar and the dcdc charger, was hoping to use the “free power” as much as we can! [emoticon]

mbloof wrote:

For me personally, I'll 'precool' the fridge by having the camper plugged into shore power and using the AC option 1-2 days before leaving on a trip.

Then I'll transfer precooled items from my house fridge/freezer to the campers fridge/freezer. I'll usually SHUT OFF the campers fridge/freezer before pulling out of my driveway.

While I live in Oregon and travel mostly in Oregon/Washington and the temperatures generally don't get higher than the 90's, I've found that the campers fridge/freezer will keep my items just fine (no matter what time of the year it is) during the 1-4 hours it takes to reach where I'm going.

When I reach my destination and start setting up, the campers fridge/freezer will get turned back on set to AC (if available) and propane if AC is not available. I see/find no need for the 'DC' mode/setting at all.

Obviously YMMV,

- Mark0.

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! Good to know that we can most likely use a lower level and lower wattage inverter as well!

NRALIFR wrote:

If all the inverter is going to power is the fridge in AC mode, then yes, a 3000 watt pure sine inverter is overkill.

You need to check your specific model fridge, but the AC heat element in mine is less than 350 watts. You don’t even need a pure sine inverter for it either. I ran mine for several years using a 500 watt modified sine inverter and it worked just fine. What I didn’t like about that inverter though was the cooling fan on it was a screamer. It didn’t matter that much though since it was only on when we weren’t in the camper to hear it. Once I had other uses for an inverter though, I bought a better, quieter, PSW model.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

Obviously YMMV,

- Mark0.

Why do you turn it off when traveling?

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up swapping back and forth during the summer from 12v to propane to keep the food cold and as importantly, to save on the use of propane a bit.

(Plus propane has increased substantially here in the northeast so definitely want to use the 12v from the dc dc charger and solar as much as we can! Also, we don’t like running on propane as it’s not safe, legal or recommended.

Reality Check wrote:

mbloof wrote:

Obviously YMMV,

- Mark0.

Why do you turn it off when traveling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Nor Cold 2 way??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.