RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Report out of California.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Report out of California.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a. Public parks are full and booked through late September.

b. Mask is still strictly enforced even on private establishments. Postings to wear mask at the door, order by maitre d to wear mask (or else) and bigger sign saying, the they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

c. With the CA's $74 billion surplus, the state seems not to be waiting for Biden's infrastructure money. Construction on the road is everywhere. Expect delays, closures and diversions.

d. Parking along the coasts are allowed. But better be early. At 7am, it's already back-to-back with RVs, trailers, motorhomes... (our collective fault, they used to allow overnight parking, but some trashed their places).

e. Took the Pacific Coast Road - CA 1 Scenic Route. Beautiful as ever.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hoping that the current craze for RV ownership and thus the crowded California campgrounds are just temporary effects of the pandemic, and that some folks are going to regret buying an RV and will stay home or fly to Europe or whatever.

Unfortunately, my unscientific sample is leaning the other way. As do most people, we talk to our neighbors in the campgrounds and the RV parks. We've met lots of newbies this year, and almost all of them are, well, happy campers.

Most of them say things like "this is the silver lining of the pandemic -- it forced us to discover RVing, and now we're hooked."

YosemiteSam, I would add two things to your Cali Report: it's going to be a hot and smoky summer (bad news), and California has the highest vaccination rate and the lowest infection rate in the country (good news).

The state is supposed to open "fully" on June 15, whatever that means. I'd bet that there will still be restaurants and bars with mask requirements, but not all of them.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Most of them say things like "this is the silver lining of the pandemic -- it forced us to discover RVing, and now we're hooked."

YosemiteSam, I would add two things to your Cali Report: it's going to be a hot and smoky summer (bad news), and California has the highest vaccination rate and the lowest infection rate in the country (good news).

The state is supposed to open "fully" on June 15, whatever that means. I'd bet that there will still be restaurants and bars with mask requirements, but not all of them.

We were here 3 years ago and I don't recall the shorelines being jam-packed this much -- and very early in the morning.

As to the strict mask requirement, I am pleasantly surprised. With all in the family being all vaccinated, including the 12-year olds, I am somewhat relaxed and would sometimes not bring my mask at all. But I'm comforted with this extra precaution of safety remembering that even Cali have their Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers..

And compliments to the state, your budget surplus is not just going to roads (and education I heard with the restoration of after-school programs) but on state, regional, county and city parks improvements as well. Toilets are immaculate (new bowls) and hot showers are (sometimes) free. I teased the wifey that their toilets are cleaner than ours at our new home, lol.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If California has a 74 Billion surplus it means that their ripping off the citizens.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

If California has a 74 Billion surplus it means that their ripping off the citizens.

The gross domestic product (GDP) of California was about 3.09 trillion U.S. dollars in 2020, meaning that it contributed the most out of any state to the country’s GDP in that year. In contrast, Vermont had the lowest GDP in the United States, with 32.8 billion U.S. dollars.

CA has the 5th largest GDP in the world. No doubt CA has some higher taxes. My guess is that with Covid in 2020 they had some shutdowns/freezes that resulted in the surplus. Most all states had surpluses.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOTE: Everyone loves to bash California (myself included), but let's please not do so here. And please keep the politics out of this thread.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 and well said.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the downside, seems every is now out on a weekend.

Traffic, and more traffic all around.

And it was Sunday.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I'm hoping that the current craze for RV ownership and thus the crowded California campgrounds are just temporary effects of the pandemic, and that some folks are going to regret buying an RV and will stay home or fly to Europe or whatever.

Unfortunately, my unscientific sample is leaning the other way. As do most people, we talk to our neighbors in the campgrounds and the RV parks. We've met lots of newbies this year, and almost all of them are, well, happy campers.

Give them time and they'll tire of it. Really. I've seen that with acquaintances who go gung ho a year or two then peeter out. Plus, they prefer hookups whereas we prefer dry camping. Saw it over the Memorial Day weekend, hookups booked and dry camping areas a plenty.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

...hookups booked and dry camping areas a plenty.

Thanks for the tip. See us around... with our genny and solar, lol.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/14/21 11:03am by Yosemite Sam1 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Report out of California.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.