RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 02:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually thinking ahead, I like to prepare certain foods in bulk and freeze for the road. Problem was, can't stuff the smallish RV freezer too much, otherwise, it just won't keep stuff frozen (had ice cream bars melt prodigiously in short order). So, I opted to pick up a Dometic Dual Zone fridge/freezer (on sale!) to store extra foods for the road, and wondered what some of your favorites might be?

I make chili, soups, and cabbage rolls, and now that I can store more, I'm looking for easy, quick, delicious menu items I can make at home, and pack for the road.

Whadya got?

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've gotten into the habit of making a bit extra during meal prep and always try to freeze some. This week I'm taking frozen short ribs that have been vacuum-sealed. Re-heat in a pot of hot water, BOOM! We will generally only freeze things that take a long time to cook, like short ribs or Ropa Vieja, another favorite that freezes well.

We also do a lot of canning in the summer, including soups. The obvious advantage here is you don't have to take up valuable freezer space.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to make two servings when ever I cook. One goes into the freezer.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our mainstay that we take is shredded pork. At home, I cook a pork shoulder in the crockpot with just onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Shred it up and split into several serving bags. On the road, we either add bbq sauce for sandwiches or make burritos by adding green chili/enchilada sauce or rotel and canned black beans and corn, plus other condiments on hand like shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa. You could do all this with chicken too.

Also, sometimes I precook a few hamburgers to freeze.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time you make a favorite meal, double the recipe and freeze it. If we’re in the mood for lasagne I’ll make 2. One to eat and one to freeze.

Your soups idea is always good. If you want to dress up a chicken soup just bring it to a boil and drop in some frozen biscuits. Put a lid on it and let it simmer 20-25 minutes for chicken and dumplings. If I don’t have time to make my own frozen biscuit dough I pop into the store and pick up Mary Bs frozen biscuits. Most Wally Worlds have them.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When i went from the pop up to the TT the one thing i used , that i never did at home was the microwave. Lasagna, chicken cutlets, anything you can think of. Easy meals for the road, and one night stopovers. I find the smaller freezer in the TT quite good at keeping stuff frozen, even when packed. I went a bit over two weeks on a trip without resupply with 3 people.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I freeze my chili with veggies, pork tamales, beef vegetable soup mostly. On the road I grill out a lot, so the freezer stays full of various grilling meats for the Weber Q1200. Love doing fajitas myself, or anything that uses tortillas. Sometimes I'll freeze up some precooked chicken and steak for those rainy day fajitas. [emoticon]

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are all great ideas, folks, keep 'em coming! And Thank You!

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smoked pork butt freezes really well and is very versatile. It reheats well, and you can make tacos, bbq salads, put on top of a baked potato, quesadillas, nachos, chili, grilled cheese, sandwiches, or just plain with some sides.

Just about any pasta dish.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 02:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. OK, sounds like it might also be good idea to obtain an Air Fryer or an Instant Pot... Since I'm generally lost in the kitchen, do I want or need both? Is this something I really SHOULD make room for? And for an RV, would a smaller size be best?

I think I opened up a big can of worms with this OP, but I'm trying to think beyond usual borders.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.