|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Virginia GCWR rules / commercial / travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

ognend wrote:

Birdnst wrote:

I got the f350 srw 11300 gvwr, if registered that way it is right at $100 more to register annually. Tell them 10000 gvwr and a cheaper registration annually.

Yeah but what happens if you are pulled over and they realize your tags don't match real GVWR? Besides I am talking about a 14,000 lbs gvwr dually [emoticon]

Yeah[emoticon]. Because that happens so often I've never seen nor heard of it happening to anyone in 40 years of driving.

Slap your head all you want [emoticon] but what you are suggesting is technically fraud (tax evasion), no? I know my vehicle is 14,000 lbs GVWR, it says so on the sticker and I go and tell them it is 10,000 lbs GVWR... No shooting offense but why willingly put yourself in a situation where you can be dragged through the system. I am pretty sure nobody will pull you over for fun and check your tags for correct weights but it MAY happen if you were involved in a (serious) accident, no?

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful - There are forum cops around! [emoticon]

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just from a non-Virginia resident perspective, if I were there needing to register a new vehicle there, I would go to the DMV site and download the Vehicle Registration Application (VSA 14).

It looks like the information you’re concerned with is in the Vehicle Information section, on the line I’ve highlighted.

[image]

The GVWR box is easy, just put the mfgr’s number in there. It even says “manufacturer” in that box. The “Empty Weight”, “Gross Weight”, and “GCWR Combined Weight” boxes look to me like they are wanting actual weights. I would put either the actual scaled weights, or a good-faith approximation of what the weights really are. Rounding up instead of down might be wise.

That’s just the “some guy on the inter-webs” interpretation, which may be worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing.

[emoticon][emoticon]

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have hauled both horse trailers and enclosed car trailers through VA for 30+ years with a F-350 DRW and have never been stopped or weighed. I did weigh the enclosed once loaded with the truck just to see what it weighed and it was 22,000+. We have no weighted tags just permanent trailer tags and the truck is registered as a MPV, no weight limit. Every state is different.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

ognend wrote:

Birdnst wrote:

I got the f350 srw 11300 gvwr, if registered that way it is right at $100 more to register annually. Tell them 10000 gvwr and a cheaper registration annually.

Yeah but what happens if you are pulled over and they realize your tags don't match real GVWR? Besides I am talking about a 14,000 lbs gvwr dually [emoticon]

Yeah[emoticon]. Because that happens so often I've never seen nor heard of it happening to anyone in 40 years of driving.

Slap your head all you want [emoticon] but what you are suggesting is technically fraud (tax evasion), no? I know my vehicle is 14,000 lbs GVWR, it says so on the sticker and I go and tell them it is 10,000 lbs GVWR... No shooting offense but why willingly put yourself in a situation where you can be dragged through the system. I am pretty sure nobody will pull you over for fun and check your tags for correct weights but it MAY happen if you were involved in a (serious) accident, no?

No and No......unless you like drama. It's a non issue unless you are operating commercially in VA. [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that "26,000lb" number seems to be a common weight for comercial vehicles that must stop at a weigh station. under that weight and comercial and in many states still no need to stop.

Nor do you need to register it as comercial if you use it for personal use in most/all states.

But AFAIK and hav experienced, if you are not hauling for hire or for a comercial company, most weigh stations will get annoyed to say the least if you stop even if you are over the 26,000 combined weight.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Birdnst

Poquoson

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you have allready answered your own question. Even if you are not running commercial you will need to register full weight so that you will not feel you are committing fraud or afraid of being caught.
Question was answered in your mind before you ever asked.

If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A rv forum is the last place anyone should seriously ask how do I register or how does my state register a motor vehicle.
Always see your local DPS tag office/registration office first as you have to deal with them regardless of what we say.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just great. Advice to lie and commit fraud to save a hundred bucks. What else would you do to save a few bucks?

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Birdnst

Poquoson

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not commercial and will not use full gvwr then please explain fraud. With this situation might be better to stay in your own state.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Virginia GCWR rules / commercial / travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.